Local Scuba Dependency Workshop - WSSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strange night at Cove 2 ...

Started out by running into a couple of strange characters in the parking lot. They looked like narc'ed out WSSD candidates, for sure ... :D

Then, we had lighting issues. Went to start the dive, and TBone's light wouldn't fire up ... so he got out of the water and went back to his car to get his backup primary light. That wouldn't work either ... so I got out, went back to my car, and got him a light to use. Finally, back in the water and we're underway.

While all this was going on, OE2X and Lamont were in the water making friends with a couple of inquisitive harbor seals. Darn things decided to become the third buddy team for our dive, and stuck with us for the duration. They're fun to watch ... when you can see them. Problem is, they're like underwater Tasmanian devils ... everywhere they go there's this little silt tornado trailing along behind them. Boy, they make a mess.

We followed the boundary cable down to the plates at about 70 fsw ... found one nice-size octo tucked into one of the dens ... but the female that had been sitting on eggs down there for the past several months had obviously done her duty and passed away. The den was empty, and what was once a "curtain" of beaded octopus eggs was mostly gone ... just a few shreds left to show it had ever been there. We cut cross-cove, dodging enthusiastic harbor seals ... and finally made it down to the I-beams.

At that point I noticed TBone was using his Scout ... the light I had loaned him had died about 10 minutes into the dive. We're checking out all the rocks looking for the little wolfie ... didn't find it, but Lamont and I found something that looked like a really fat worm grubbing around in the rocks. No idea what it was ... never seen anything like it before. Suddenly I noticed my light was going dim. Hmmm ... I didn't think HID lights were supposed to do that. Darn thing just got real dim, real fast. So I turned it off and pulled out my backup. OK ... now we're 18 minutes into the dive and two of the four divers are on backup lights ... time to start heading upslope.

We made our way up the rope to the pilings at about 60 fsw, and took a bit of a detour to see if we could find any cool critters. Would've helped if I'd had fresher batteries in my backup light ... it was starting to look a little orange. No worries, we've still got Lamont's 18W HID light between us. Problem is, when there's little light, things tend to look different. I've done over 300 dives in that cove, and suddenly I'm looking around wondering where the heck we are. Did our safety stop (while being buzzed by the pair of seals that had stuck to us for the entire dive), and headed shoreward ... only to find ourselves out by the point. Oh well ... haven't done that for a while. Got our bearings and headed back to the entry to end the dive.

Just one of those nights, I guess. Not sure what's up with all the light failures ... sun spots, perhaps? But it was still a nice, 45 minute dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:

Started out by running into a couple of strange characters in the parking lot. They looked like narc'ed out WSSD candidates, for sure ... :D

and headed shoreward ... only to find ourselves out by the point. Oh well ... haven't done that for a while. Got our bearings and headed back to the entry to end the dive.

Just one of those nights, I guess. Not sure what's up with all the light failures ... sun spots, perhaps? But it was still a nice, 45 minute dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow, I should have stayed and dove with you guys, sounds like quite the dive and to think I was supposed to be one of the narc'ed ones. :11: Some how we ended up at the point also must have been the sun spots :eyebrow:

Underwaterlyle

Underwaterlyle:
Wow, I should have stayed and dove with you guys, sounds like quite the dive and to think I was supposed to be one of the narc'ed ones. :11: Some how we ended up at the point also must have been the sun spots :eyebrow:

Underwaterlyle

It was nice meeting you and DeepDog ... hope one of the "ScubaBoard group photos" comes out ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Now THAT sounds like a fun dive!!! I'd be tempted to come out there just to have NWGrateful teach me my AOW!!!!!

pennypue:
Now THAT sounds like a fun dive!!! I'd be tempted to come out there just to have NWGrateful teach me my AOW!!!!!

I think you need to indulge in your temptations ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I think you need to indulge in your temptations ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
But I don't own a big flashlight. :D

NWGratefulDiver:

Hey it was great to run into you guys. Underwaterlyle and I had a very good day of therapy.

Oh yeah, our first dive to 150fsw probably did give us a good NARC. We had a bit of swell to contend with which vastly improved our therapy. We made great human breakwaters. Even though we had high wind and swells, we were treated to a beautiful afternoon sky.

The skyline at Cove 2 yesterday was nothing to scoff at either and with much calmer waters. It sounds like we got lucky to not have the harbor seal dive-guides at Cove 2. Those guys really are visibility party poopers. It sounds like a night of battery graveyard with your lights too. Sorry to hear it.

Our cove dive was pretty fruitful. First we ran into this guy just hangin’ on one of the I-beams. He was friendly enough but not willing when I tried to give him the dutiful piggyback ride. :D

Then we saw this little (no longer all that little) fella peeking out of his rock pile. I fetched him an urchin and got him to pose for a few shots.

And as we did our 20ft off gas stop, I noticed this fantastic display of blending right in. You really have to stare at this one a bit just to spot him.

The very strangest part of dive two was being surrounded by these rare sea creatures after coming out of the cove. :D

NWGratefulDiver:
It was nice meeting you and DeepDog ... hope one of the "ScubaBoard group photos" comes out ...
Well, as for the above group photo, don't blame the photographer. It seems your lights weren’t the only things suffering from battery death. I guess my camera didn’t have enough juice left to focus. It was the last shot it could cough up before the battery went. Fortunately my camera did better underwater than on the surface. I guess we'll just have to create another therapy photo opp.

Edit: Perhaps my camera just doesn't like me. The one without me in it worked out a bit better. And you can even see the exotic Alfa-RoTrooper Divemobile behind. I guess that makes sense.

DeepDog :cheers:

Oh you bad person!!! Seeing those pictures doesnt help me any more,,, I need, i need water, wetness, things that look back when I stare wondering what it is that I'm looking at.

Dont hesitate now, you can save a diver from behind shrivled uP from lack of wetness

DeepDog-

Where are the first photos from (the photos with the swells)? It looks like Alki Vaults, some call it the Abyss, over by La Rustica.

I'm in a deep state of depression, and it's quite possible that this condition will see no improvement 'till spring when I can dive again. Nothing I've tried seems to help.
these things have NOT helped, on the contrary, made my condition worse:
Snorkel in the bathtub.. no help
Used my regulator (yes, connected to a full tank) and that only made my condition worse.
I've put on my wetsuit, and had someone hose me down... no help.
Now, I'm thinking of strong drugs.
Any advice before I do something stupid. (not that unsual, actually)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom