Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was looking to purchase a home in Cozumel and live there for a decade or two in my retirement years, but the last couple years of rising gun violence have deterred me and I've changed my mind. I'm incredibly sad about it because I used to love telling people that where I vacationed in Mexico was safer than my hometown. No longer. I hope the government gets a handle on it. I know it's gang violence, and I won't quit going to Cozumel to dive as long as there's a reef there, but the obviously deteriorating situation there doesn't show any signs of getting better yet, despite the camera installations they are so proud of. They certainly didn't deter the murderers in this case.

On which planet does this happen?

Old school… that wife also prepares all the meals including lunches and lets the husband take care of all the bills and financials.

Old school… that wife also prepares all the meals including lunches and lets the husband take care of all the bills and financials.
Interesting. Not a planet I live on.

Keep it in perspective. Is the violence any worse than what happens in any given US city on a random night?

Interesting. Not a planet I live on.

Keep it in perspective. Is the violence any worse than what happens in any given US city on a random night?

Well, yes, it is. My city of over 80,000 people, similar to population of Cozumel, had zero homicides (street executions or otherwise) last year. Total of three the year before that. Yes I live in a very privileged place economically compared to Cozumel but that was also true 5, 10, and 15 years ago when people getting shot in Cozumel was unheard of.

And I'm not saying this to crap on Cozumel. I'm saying it out of grief, because I love the island and the people and I hate to see what's happening to it. I suppose not much will change until it starts to be bad for business.

Ozzie and Harriet? Leave It to Beaver? Father Knows Best? Old school, indeed. :D

I was looking to purchase a home in Cozumel and live there for a decade or two in my retirement years, but the last couple years of rising gun violence have deterred me and I've changed my mind. I'm incredibly sad about it because I used to love telling people that where I vacationed in Mexico was safer than my hometown. No longer. I hope the government gets a handle on it. I know it's gang violence, and I won't quit going to Cozumel to dive as long as there's a reef there, but the obviously deteriorating situation there doesn't show any signs of getting better yet, despite the camera installations they are so proud of. They certainly didn't deter the murderers in this case.

It’s probably still safer if your home town is Detroit or Chicago.

Amazing how quickly they were arrested after there was video posted that was picked up be the media. Until then the previous murders, drug dealing and general criminal activity were not a real problem?

Amazing how quickly they were arrested after there was video posted that was picked up be the media. Until then the previous murders, drug dealing and general criminal activity were not a real problem?
It's as if the cops already know who is doing these things...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom