Local Divers: How long does it take you to get to your favorite dive site?

Local Divers: How long does it take to get your favorite dive site?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is this photo?
It’s Sandwich in Sandwich MA. I know you get down my way now and then, so next time you’re in my area, contact me and I’ll take you. And I’m not just saying that to be polite. It’ a shallow dive, which you like, 15-25’ is typical, but nice.

Erik

I had been living in Misrata full time since my home in Tripoli was destroyed in the war in 2019. It takes me a 5 minute drive to get to most dive sites in Misrata (some will take 20 minutes). Now that I moved back to Tripoli since my father passed away in July and live in a gated community right on shore, it only takes me 2 minutes to get down to the rocky dive spot I use to enter the water (It may take me 5 minutes to get there if I stop at the store to buy water and after-dive chocolate :) )

The local dive site where I now live in Tripoli, only a 2 minute drive:
View attachment 862270

The spot where I enter the water, facing south so it is slightly protected from waves. I used to put my equipment on the water's edge before entering the water. I'd put the equipment on while on the water but now I just put equipment on at the back of the truck and walk from the truck to the water's edge, it is only 35 meters from the back of the truck to the entry point. I do take my fins, float, DPV and camera to the water's edge before I get dressed and put them on after I jump in the water with BC and fins on. I do a "giant stride" into the water:

View attachment 862272

I sometimes get into the water from the tiny sandy shore where I park my truck with suit on before I put the scuba unit on to cool off when it is very hot, July and especially August.

I still have a home in Misrata and go back there frequently (My big dive locker is still there too). Misrata's dive sites have much easier access to the water. Misrata also has faster access to the dive sites due to MUCH less traffic than in Tripoli. Misrata is about 230 Km away from Tripoli, a 2.5 - 5 hour drive depending on traffic.

I didn't get to do much diving this year because of the most terrible weather I have ever seen in Libya. High seas most of the time. I was also very busy after my father's passing and dealing with various issues related to his death. Most terrible summer.
Long trek today...20 minutes to Sidem, Tulamben, Bali.

Long trek today...20 minutes to Sidem, Tulamben, Bali.

That's too far away 😜

How do you get there from Phuket?

I have a lot of favorites. If I want close easy diving after work, my big boat is in the Detroit River and takes about 20 minutes to get there.
Port Austin MI at the tip of the thumb is my favorite diving in Lake Huron, that takes about 3 hours.
Whitefish Point in Paradise, MI is one of my favorites in Lake Superior and takes about 7 hours.
Barcelona NY is the best on Lake Erie and takes about 6 hours.
High Springs FL is my go to winter diving and takes 18 hours.

That's too far away 😜

How do you get there from Phuket?
Worst monsoon season in Phuket in 20 years my friends who are there tell me (13 people were buried alive in a mudslide a couple weeks ago)...almost non-stop rain in September and it's still not over! I got outta dodge 5 months ago and been in Bali ever since...back to Phuket next month.

IMG20240922093632.jpg Tank check ✔️

IMG20240922093651.jpg Ocean Check ✔️

IMG20240922093658.jpg Looks good ✔️

Two more Sidem dives in the log book 🙂

Thank you very much. I am still dealing with "delayed grief" now. Always thinking "I should have spent more time with him" with guilty feeling. I was too busy dealing with "things" to do when he passed away but now it is catching up with me.

I love you man!

I'm in tears man!

I have 5 possible lakes, one with 3 entry poonts in a bit less than 30 min, two others in about 35 to 45min. On of it has a different winter and summer option for the entry. These are my "standard" diving choices. Descent ones, nothing really outstanding, but I like it. Viz. really depends 1 to 8, sometimes "night dive" because clear water below a layer of bad visibility. Depth varies up to maybe 35m, however mostly 25m, but a long stretch at 5 to 10m, because you find the most interesting things there.

There are two other lakes which are more like 50 to 60min, thats a rare choice.

There are more technical spots within about 60min, however thats currently too advanced for me.
For spots an overnight travel is worth I have multiple very nice options within 2 to 5 h drive.

I counted my main three, only, for this vote though.

Attachments

• 20240413_165722.jpg
    20240413_165722.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240421_092656.jpg
    20240421_092656.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 14
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom