Local Divers: How long does it take you to get to your favorite dive site?

Local Divers: How long does it take to get your favorite dive site?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had been living in Misrata full time since my home in Tripoli was destroyed in the war in 2019. It takes me a 5 minute drive to get to most dive sites in Misrata (some will take 20 minutes). Now that I moved back to Tripoli since my father passed away in July and live in a gated community right on shore, it only takes me 2 minutes to get down to the rocky dive spot I use to enter the water (It may take me 5 minutes to get there if I stop at the store to buy water and after-dive chocolate :) )

The local dive site where I now live in Tripoli, only a 2 minute drive:
20160806_111055.jpg

The spot where I enter the water, facing south so it is slightly protected from waves. I used to put my equipment on the water's edge before entering the water. I'd put the equipment on while on the water but now I just put equipment on at the back of the truck and walk from the truck to the water's edge, it is only 35 meters from the back of the truck to the entry point. I do take my fins, float, DPV and camera to the water's edge before I get dressed and put them on after I jump in the water with BC and fins on. I do a "giant stride" into the water:

20160806_111212.jpg

I sometimes get into the water from the tiny sandy shore where I park my truck with suit on before I put the scuba unit on to cool off when it is very hot, July and especially August.

I still have a home in Misrata and go back there frequently (My big dive locker is still there too). Misrata's dive sites have much easier access to the water. Misrata also has faster access to the dive sites due to MUCH less traffic than in Tripoli. Misrata is about 230 Km away from Tripoli, a 2.5 - 5 hour drive depending on traffic.

I didn't get to do much diving this year because of the most terrible weather I have ever seen in Libya. High seas most of the time. I was also very busy after my father's passing and dealing with various issues related to his death. Most terrible summer.

If I dive off Dubai, it takes me around 30 mins to get to one of the beaches here, I used to live 10 mins away but that changed in 2021.

For my east coast dives I'm looking at 90 - 120 mins drive.

For my east coast dives I'm looking at 90 - 120 mins drive.

You don't stay there overnight? That round trip is exhausting especially with diving. Are there apartments to rent for the year cheap there? I used to stay at Scuba 2000 and dove with them all the time. Very inexpensive.

You don't stay there overnight? That round trip is exhausting especially with diving. Are there apartments to rent for the year cheap there? I used to stay at Scuba 2000 and dove with them all the time. Very inexpensive.
Sometimes I do, like last weekend.

BTW Scuba2000 is long gone, it was taken over by Extreme Divers but I'm not sure if they still operate from there, not an operation I would recommend.

I had been living in Misrata full time since my home in Tripoli was destroyed in the war in 2019. It takes me a 5 minute drive to get to most dive sites in Misrata (some will take 20 minutes). Now that I moved back to Tripoli since my father passed away in July and live in a gated community right on shore, it only takes me 2 minutes to get down to the rocky dive spot I use to enter the water (It may take me 5 minutes to get there if I stop at the store to buy water and after-dive chocolate :) )

The local dive site where I now live in Tripoli, only a 2 minute drive:
View attachment 862270

The spot where I enter the water, facing south so it is slightly protected from waves. I used to put my equipment on the water's edge before entering the water. I'd put the equipment on while on the water but now I just put equipment on at the back of the truck and walk from the truck to the water's edge, it is only 35 meters from the back of the truck to the entry point. I do take my fins, float, DPV and camera to the water's edge before I get dressed and put them on after I jump in the water with BC and fins on. I do a "giant stride" into the water:

View attachment 862272

I sometimes get into the water from the tiny sand shore where I park my truck with suit on before I put the scuba unit on to cool off when it is very hot, July and especially August.

I still have a home in Misrata and go back there frequently (My big dive locker is still there too). Misrata's dive sites have much easier access to the water. Misrata also has faster access to the dive sites due to MUCH less traffic than in Tripoli. Misrata is about 230 Km away from Tripoli, a 2.5 - 5 hour dive depending on traffic.

I didn't get to do much diving this year because of the most terrible weather I have ever seen in Libya. High seas most of the time. I was also very busy after my father's passing and dealing with various issues related to his death. Most terrible summer.
So sorry to hear about your father 😞
I’ve been through it many times with my parents and with my in-laws, never easy.
The diving looks great!

1 hour to the start of fresh water Florida diving around Ocala, 2.5+ hours to stuff I'm not yet trained to do - @Manatee Diver will have great drive times for all the big kid stuff he dives up there around Hillbillyvania, Florida.

Honestly they are all about 3-4 hour from Sarasota to the Suwannee River Basin caves plus the Chaz. Some are closer in distance but you on slower local roads, like going to the Nest where you have a half an hour of driving those dirt roads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom