Local Divers: How long does it take you to get to your favorite dive site?

Local Divers: How long does it take to get your favorite dive site?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anywhere from 10 minutes (shore diving/drift diving the Niagara River) - 2 hours (drive to Barcelona Harbor to go on Osprey Charters).

4.5 hours drive to the St. Lawrence River

5.5 hours to Tobermory

20-40 minutes depending on time of day and traffic to Hollywood Beach, 30min+ for any other dive sites near Ft. Lauderdale. 90 minutes to the keys, 3 hours to the west coast, 5 hours to the springs.

View from the water
1726946342984.png

So sorry to hear about your father 😞
I’ve been through it many times with my parents and with my in-laws, never easy.

Thank you very much. I am still dealing with "delayed grief" now. Always thinking "I should have spent more time with him" with guilty feeling. I was too busy dealing with "things" to do when he passed away but now it is catching up with me.

You really didn't have an appropriate category for me, so I used over 4 hours. It takes me about 6 hours to get to Santa Rosa, N.M. (see post #8), but that's only because I occasionally drift a few MPH over the speed limit. It should take longer.

I usually don't dive in the Blue Hole there, though. I prefer nearby Rock Lake, which is on private property. The new owner is extremely restrictive on access, so the very best we can do is once a month, if you are free on the weekend of that month your group is scheduled to dive there. If he were to shut it down completely (and that has been threatened), there would be no site where you could to more than 250 feet deep within many hundreds of miles.

An hour and a half up to Kullen, where there are some nice dive sites but unfortunately many of them quite sporty to get to with the equipment.

View attachment 862331

That’s beautiful. Makes me want to upgrade from my Blacktip scooter to a serious one like a Genesis or Seacraft.

Favorite dive site: ~35 minutes

My most commonly dived sites: 10-15min.

AE9B3B62-73E2-44CE-93B4-BDCB5EDAF306.jpeg
Known to locals as Apogama, known to gaijin as Mermaid’s Grotto. Known to Marines as a place to get drunk and die swimming in the ocean. It’s an incredible site. Heading west gets you to a 100ft+ drop off, heading south gets you to a series of canyons at 10-35ft. It’s a bit away from the popular fishing spots so it’s teeming with life. It’s my favorite spot on Okinawa.

Favorite dive site: ~35 minutes

My most commonly dived sites: 10-15min.

View attachment 862343
Known to locals as Apogama, known to gaijin as Mermaid’s Grotto. Known to Marines as a place to get drunk and die swimming in the ocean. It’s an incredible site. Heading west gets you to a 100ft+ drop off, heading south gets you to a series of canyons at 10-35ft. It’s my favorite spot on Okinawa.

I am most definitely going to visit you there for few weeks to go diving there. When is the best time of the year for diving there (I'll be doing UW photography)?

Is this a good dive shop to work with there?
www.reefencounters.org

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom