Lionfish in Bonaire now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetwrench

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Check Bonaire Talk to read the latest. Three sitings and captures so far. STINAPA is gonna have their hands full.

I'm in Bonaire now and had a briefing at BDA and said that STINAPA have caught 3 lionfish so far. They are about 3 inches in length. Haven't seen any yet but STINAPA has everyone one on notice for any sightings, that they be called and there will be an immediate response from them to try and capture them. They want all divers if they see one to take a picture or video, take note of you depth and location and any type of coral formation that might make it easier for STIMAPA to find it.

By the way, this is still the best place to be .... Only 4 dives today but In out of shape. 5 tomorrow

Let the bonairian reefs be free of lion fish. Lets everybody help stinapa

What is the potential risk of lion fish becoming established on Bonaire?

No natural predators, voracious appetites. Not a good prognosis.

They are terribly difficult to eliminate too, as they can survive and thrive at greater depths than we can go to hunt them.

When doing shore dives in Queens, NY I have watched Lion Fish (juvies mind you) back down much much larger adult fish that would normally eat small things without a thought. Those little boogers are fearless. The only predator they seem to fall pray to is winter. It gets cold and they die off. Unfortunately that won't be happening in Bonaire I should think.

Hey Papa Bear!

I read the first link you had but when I tried to pull up the second link "Another interesting study link" my computer came up with "link not found" or something like that. Might want to check on that.

Thanks for the info by the way! A good read on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom