Lionfish in Bonaire now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan's Alert Diver Magazine had a very informative article in their July/August issue that I would highly recommend reading.

My idea for eliminating them from the Carribbean is to start advertising them as a Yuppie delicatessen or an aphrodisiac. A good ad agency could get the job done but be careful of overselling, they may end up on the endangered/protected list.

Actually, the thing Bonaire needs most is vigilante divers.

Maybe. But they have to be the ones to say so, not us.

I wouldn't trust the average vacation diver to only kill the lion fish. Vigilante divers would likely lead to damage to the reef structure, other marine life, and maybe even divers. It's a mess waiting to happen in a protected environment.

The scientists will continue to study, the authorities will continue to sleep and the lionfish will continue to eat everything on the reef half their size and smaller. Only when it's mostly gone will anyone start doing what needs to be done. Now. All because they're afraid of doing something different while another something different is overtaking them. Sad.

Here's a bit of a contrarian take on invasive species in general from Slate:

Are invasive species really that bad for the environment? - By Rebecca Tuhus-Dubrow - Slate Magazine

Some scientists—such as Matthew Chew, Dov Sax, and Mark Davis—are challenging what they consider old prejudices about "alien" species. They point out the inevitability of change and the positive roles that non-natives can play in ecosystems, while describing eradication projects as often wasteful and even counterproductive.

While we can remain vigilante, and help spot Lionfish, we are only going to make a small difference as I have read that these invaders have been spotted at much greater depths than we can reach and hunt. By vigilance tho, we may be able to minimize some of their impact on the shallower areas of the reefs.

Unless another predator decides these aliens are tasty, and we encourage the few predators there are (ie: avoid eating the larger Groupers) we are fighting a very lopsided war.

Maybe. But they have to be the ones to say so, not us.

I wouldn't trust the average vacation diver to only kill the lion fish. Vigilante divers would likely lead to damage to the reef structure, other marine life, and maybe even divers. It's a mess waiting to happen in a protected environment.

Exactly. Vigilante divers would be the underwater equivalent of Cane Toads.

Here's a bit of a contrarian take on invasive species in general from Slate:

Are invasive species really that bad for the environment? - By Rebecca Tuhus-Dubrow - Slate Magazine

Thats just thinly veiled propaganda about immigration.

I think there are enough real examples (Cane Toads in Australia, Borer Beetles in the Northeast, Pythons/Boas in the Everglades to name a few) of invasive species being a threat. Given that most of Bonaire's economy is scuba based there is a reason to be worried. There is already a problem with run off destorying the reef, Lionfish could expidite the process.

Thats just thinly veiled propaganda about immigration.:D
:rofl3: Good one. I inserted the smilie for you, so everybody will know you were joking.

I think there are enough real examples (Cane Toads in Australia, Borer Beetles in the Northeast, Pythons/Boas in the Everglades to name a few) of invasive species being a threat. Given that most of Bonaire's economy is scuba based there is a reason to be worried. There is already a problem with run off destorying the reef, Lionfish could expidite the process.
Did you read the article, or just the two-sentence abstract?

:rofl3: Good one. I inserted the smilie for you, so everybody will know you were joking.

Did you read the article, or just the two-sentence abstract?

:) I read the article of course. It got side tracked with "xenophobia", "Nazi eco-nativists", "the Minutemen", and the "McDonald's/globalization"

But at least they wrap it up by saying there should be at least some attempt at managment.

Some invasive species could turn out to be just plain delicious mmmmmmmmm invaaaaaaaaasive

I just wouldn't let the article lead anyone to think that Bonairians will be singing "kumbaya Lionfish, kumbaya"

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom