Lionfish in Bonaire now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't agree that lionfish have known predators. There has never been any routine predation of lionfish by any other species observed anywhere that I'm aware of. The occasional cornetfish or grouper eating one was probably pretty sorry he did. Even parasites seem to leave them alone. You've got some good resources for info on the website - here's another recent study that you might add. Scubadobadoo is right - the only thing that gets 'em is winter.

Attachments

• Morris et al 2009.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 76
I should add that I am in no way a marine biologist/Lion Fish know it all and I make no claims to being right or wrong in this matter. :wink:

I did enjoy both interesting articles provided so thanks for some further education!

Apparently a Great White Shark was sighted there last week as well off of Karpatha.

That is according to the "white board" of sitings at Buddy Dives tank refill station. No clue how legit that is. :idk:

Apparently a Great White Shark was sighted there last week as well off of Karpatha.

That is according to the "white board" of sitings at Buddy Dives tank refill station. No clue how legit that is. :idk:

ummm.. you know that that sighting board is notorious for its 'sightings'... last time I was through the top sighting was the rare female double breasted :censored:sucker

Does Bonaire make allowances for killing & removing invasive reef species?

I ask because, given the emphasis on its marine sanctuary status, I could see some well-intentioned drive managing to kill one of these things somehow (although without a spear gun I'm not sure just how), and bringing it out to show off, then some well-intentioned conservationist calls the authorities...

Bottom Line: If you got 'caught' killing a lion fish in Bonaire, what would they do to you?

Richard.

So what do people think eat them in the Pacific? Groupers and sharks! They have not taken over the South Pacific, Indian Ocean, or Indonesia! So I not sure they will take over the Atlantic! In addition the Oceans are and have been connected for a billion years or so and what has kept them out of the Caribbean in the past will figure in the future! Not so sure WE should push any panic buttons! :D

I would also like to know if Bonaire will allow divers to kill these as they are seen.

If you read that paper you would see that they're eight times more dense here than over there. So, there's something over there that's controlling them that's not here. And whatever it is we probably don't want it here either.

Sharks and Grouper, they just haven't adapted to the hunt as of yet! Mother Nature has a great way of balancing things in the LONG run.

I would kill a thing until the authorities put up wanted posters and make it official! We tend as "Know it all Humans" to jump too quick! Look at Kudzu!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom