Lionfish in Bonaire now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also like to know if Bonaire will allow divers to kill these as they are seen.

I believe at this point divers are to note as much detail as poss: Site name, depth, significant coral, etc nearest, etc, and notify STINAPA, ASAP. The lionfish are to be captured and eliminated by STINAPA personnel.

gypsyjim,

For now you are correct. They are actually asking divers, if possible to document the siting via video or picture, as well as site, depth, significant coral formations that would aid the staff of STINAPA to locate the area. I am awaiting the "official" procedures as I am typing this.

I will post as soon as I recieve.

Thanks.

Liz

ok, here is the official instructions to divers:

What STINAPA/Bonaire National Marine Park are doing:
• STINAPA has instituted a plan to use the island’s dive guides and visiting divers, who are in the water each day, to immediately notify the marine park when a lionfish is spotted. When this occurs, Bonaire National Marine Park staff will enter the water at that dive site, and each ranger will carry two aquarium-type nets, with the plan to catch the fish and thus remove it from the area. STINAPA does acknowledge that this plan may have to be adjusted as time passes, depending upon the number of sightings reported.
• The Bonaire National Marine Park (STINAPA) and the Dutch Caribbean Nature Alliance (DCNA) have already taken pro-active steps to educate the general public as well as dive operators and their staff about controlling this invasive species by conducting workshops about this situation last April on Bonaire. The workshops were led by Lad Akins (REEF) and Stephanie Green (Simon Fraser University). Although some scientists theorize that “there is probably no way to stop the invasion completely,” a well informed community, and especially a well informed and pro-active dive staff, is going to be Bonaire’s best defense. Workshops were held for those working within the island’s dive industry, as well as for the general public.

What visiting divers should do:
• If divers spot lionfish in any location, they are to inform the Bonaire Marine Park (telephone: 717-8444 or 786 8444) as soon as possible, and specify the date the fish was seen, the dive site and the distance from the mooring in meters/feet or minutes diving, the depth at which the fish was spotted, the approximate size, as well as any specific reef references that can help to locate it. If imaging equipment is available (either video or cameras), divers are asked to record an image or video for confirmation by BNMP rangers.

My understanding is that a female lion fish can lay as many as 30,000 eggs in a 2 week period. In the Red Sea for example, the eggs are eaten by predators before they are hatched. That will not happen here because the predators do not know what the eggs are. Soooooo.... you have many more lion fish then you would have in the Red Sea.

PapaBear is right that Groupers and Sharks are the #1 predators of lion fish but how many Groupers and Sharks are there in Bonaire, at least on the west coast? Some groupers maybe but sharks?? Do the Groupers in Bonaire know that the lion fish is yummy? How long does it take for the grouper family to know that they are good eating.

The lion fish can corral a ton of juveniles of any breed and have a feast and then depopulate the species that are supposed to be here.

These fish I believe are being brought in by cargo or cruise ships releasing them from their ballasts.

It is up to us to help the PROFESSIONALS in this field and let them make a determination of what is best for our environment.

Take a look at what is being said on Bonairetalk./com under enviromental action. It might help

What makes you think that lionfish are good eating? Do you think sharks and groupers are somehow immune to the venom of these animals? Find one and test a barb on yourself. Any animal eating a lionfish will have the same reaction, only about thirty times over. There are NO lionfish predators of any consequence when they are mature. So far, the only theory of any merit, and it's still a theory, is that something may be eating the egg sacs but that something ain't on this side of the world. PapaBear is not right. The cruise ship ballast theory has been disproven and reporting efforts alone are not going to control them. You need only to look at the Bahamas to see what's going to happen to Bonaire and they're not finished with the Bahamas yet. Wake up!

I can tell you how it needs to be dealt with. Regardless of how much Red Tape they try to put on it if you see one of these suckers and love Diving in Bonaire, you should probably kill it.

Peep this, these guys let the kids do it. Im assuming its not rocket science: YouTube - Current Lionfish Hunt

I don't appreciate anyone putting words in my mouth! I never said where the Lion Fish came from, but I was involved with a study that genetically traced the Bahama Lion Fish to the Atlantis Aquariums! But it doesn't matter how, that is history, and what will happen is more important! I believe some control my be required, but there is a reason these fish are in all other warm waters historically! That being said They eat other species eggs and other slow moving invertebrates, they are territorial, heavily hunt that area! Yes other fish don't mind the barbs like you and I would. In a few years you might see an increase in Sharks and Groupers? You don't have to teach a fish to eat or what it likes! But they are here to stay and we will have very little impact because we Dive less than 1/10th of 1% of the Ocean's reefs!

I am not wrong, it is information compiled by others and provided on my site to help people understand what is happening! Man is on this Blue Globe for the ride, we can try and do no harm, be good stewards, but in Global scope we hardly matter!

Why not just capture them ourselves and give them to STINAPA instead of one of them trying to find one again, and possibley not find them. Keep a mesh bag in BC to capture Shouldn't be hard to kill a 3" one! squish between 2 dead coral rocks.

I wouldn't encourage any one to go killing lion fish in Bonaire. Let STINAPA handle it and do your best to be a good diving citizen and kindly report them. We are only visitors to the Bonaire reefs and STINAPA alone has the final word. The last thing Bonaire needs is vigilante divers. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom