Lionfish as Prey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it's almost as if the toxins in the spines are no longer harmful when the lionfish are dead..............but I dont believe that!
No, don't test that by pricking a finger on a dead one. :eek:

Perhaps a dead one doesn't pump as much venom as a life one, I don't know, but you can still get a hit from them. But why do the natives accept dead ones yet not hunt the live ones that are so easy to catch?

That would be ironic if the DM's were killing all the things they feed lionfish to. I don't think that's what is happening though. They're all still there the next day begging for more. I don't think it kills them.

I saw a eel eat a live lionfish on my last trip. The eel never had to come all the way out of his hole. The little lionfish was that close to his hole, and the eel nailed it! So they will kill them without help. They probably have a preferred food, if the lionfish depletes that preferred food source then the eels and other things will probably start to deplete the lionfish. That's my guess.

I was wondering the same, I have seen groupers and triggers swallow the dead lionfish in its entirety many times. I watch them for a reaction from the spines............and nothing, they will take another immediateley, so it's almost as if the toxins in the spines are no longer harmful when the lionfish are dead..............but I dont believe that!

Jeremy says that after the fish have been dead for 4 hours the venom no longer works. I would guess it is venomous shortly after they are dead but I've never personally tested this theory...

Jeremy says that after the fish have been dead for 4 hours the venom no longer works. I would guess it is venomous shortly after they are dead but I've never personally tested this theory...
You going to test that?

You going to test that?

I gotta see this...........:idk:

said I have never tested it, nor will I. That is why God put men on this earth.:rofl3:
"Hold my beer and watch this...!
costumed-smiley-024.gif

I've also seen >10 instances in which a large grouper would swallow a wounded/dead lion fish whole. In at least one case, I can say with certainty that the grouper did not die in the first 60 minutes after swallowing the lion fish-- because he followed us around for the rest of the dive waiting for more.

Not sure how long it will take but it looks like there is good evidence to suggest grouper,eel and even yellowtail snapper may soon be Lionfish predators.

Back
Top Bottom