Lionfish as Prey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevep4444

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read a report from Roatan indicating that since DM's have been feeding dead Lionfish to Groupers and Eels that they have developed a liking to them. Apparently,some Groupers and Eels are now hunting them. Anyone see or hear of this in Cozumel?

I have seen DM's feeding dead lionfish to eel and a few grouper, but I personally have not seen them hunting lionfish.

I've not seen it nor heard about it either. Would love to see that happen though!

We have been feeding groupers and big snappers the dead or wounded lion fish. In addition, some of them are now following our DMs that carry a spear. If you remember the old feeding days in Cozumel, you know the groupers are smart! Don't know if they are hunting them but it is rare to see any hunting activity at all. We have also found that the lion fish are going deeper and deeper, likely to get away from DMs with spears. That may help reduce the pressure on small reef fish up top.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I shot some video yesterday of Jeremy trying to feed a lionfish he killed. Only nets are allowed in the marine park (no spears) so he had to kill it by crushing its skull. First we came across a gigantic grouper that was kind of resting in a shelf area but it wasn't interested. So then we found an eel and it came out of its hole to grab it and pull it into the hole. Then a Queen Triggerfish pulled on it and got it. Then a dog snapper took it away from the triggerfish and finally swallowed it. It was quite the sight! Will see if I can figure out a way to post it.

PS. I guess the file is too big to upload to the board. I tried a couple of settings and didn't work.

Last edited:
Last edited:
PS. I guess the file is too big to upload to the board. I tried a couple of settings and didn't work.
Vids are generally much too large to attach. You can upload to Vimeo.com or Youtube, then link or better embed.
Interesting study at the UVI, seems some Lion Fish in the USVI have picked up the Ciguatera toxin. They are tasty, but not that tasty. I'll leave them to the groupers and eels from now on.

Discussions focus on ciguatera poisoning - Virgin Islands Daily News

Additional Link:

Lionfish and Ciguatera, the Facts have Changed | The CORE Foundation
I've been waiting for that to come up, but so much in unknown about why some fish carry the toxin and some don't.

Only nets are allowed in the marine park (no spears)

I thought you could take a spear in the park if the spear was approved by the "officials" and if you'd taken some sort of course. Not true?

-kari

Do the groupers and eels not get stung when they eat the lionfish? How does that work? Are they immune to the toxins?

Back
Top Bottom