Attaching Twin 12 Carbondive 300bar cylinders to Mares Magellan BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fully understand how carbon-fiber tanks are really bad for scuba diving, being too light.
But my point is: 24 liters x 300 bars = 6800 liters !!!
Who needs such a massive amount of gas, in a twin tank?
I can understand using multiple tanks with different gas mixtures for doing very deep (tech) deco dives, but for "normal dives" in air, that amount of gas ins insane.
A 15 liters, 250 bars steel single tank contains 3750 liters, which, in my experience, are plenty enough even for deep dives with some deco. So I would like to understand where the need from such a massive amount of gas comes from...
Maybe the OP does two dives and doesn't want the hassle of changing tanks, or they do multi hour dives in shallow ish water. 2+ hours dives on nitrox between 10-15 meters would warrant a large amount of gas. Common for myself and some of my buddies to do 2+ hour dives in shallow on the larger wrecks / reefs. soon burn gas if the currents are up

Maybe the OP does two dives and doesn't want the hassle of changing tanks, or they do multi hour dives in shallow ish water. 2+ hours dives on nitrox between 10-15 meters would warrant a large amount of gas. Common for myself and some of my buddies to do 2+ hour dives in shallow on the larger wrecks / reefs. soon burn gas if the currents are up
If that's the case then the OP needs to bite the bullet and get a setup suitable for backmount twins. But the whole point of the initial post is that he wants to avoid doing this if possible.

BTW, those carbon fiber wrapped tanks are completely pointless unless you can actually get them filled to 300 bar (4350 psi). If you are stuck with the standard 240 bar (3500psi) HP fill, all you have done is create a very expensive HP100/12L. And now you have to find a place to put the 4.5 kilos (per tank) that came out of the tank onto your BCD or weight belt.

TBH the best thing the OP can do is guy an 18 liter steely and a pony set up if he is so attached to his BCD...although not sure how long the BCD will last supporting an 18 liter steel tank out the water
If that's the case then the OP needs to bite the bullet and get a setup suitable for backmount twins. But the whole point of the initial post is that he wants to avoid doing this if possible.

BTW, those carbon fiber wrapped tanks are completely pointless unless you can actually get them filled to 300 bar (4350 psi). If you are stuck with the standard 240 bar (3500psi) HP fill, all you have done is create a very expensive HP100/12L. And now you have to find a place to put the 4.5 kilos (per tank) that came out of the tank onto your BCD or weight belt.

TBH the best thing the OP can do is guy an 18 liter steely and a pony set up if he is so attached to his BCD...although not sure how long the BCD will last supporting an 18 liter steel tank out the water

I think you'd want to sling the pony. It's a travel BCD without an internal hard plate. And it has just a single tank band (plus a strap that runs under the valve to keep the tank aligned).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom