Cozumel Lionfish Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Find an op that operates outside of the marine park
There are some smaller ones that might go where you want

There are plenty of LF at shallower depths, just not on the popular dive spots in the MPA.

We did well yesterday from shore. Need more tanks next time, there were still plenty of lionfish. :)

Attachments

• GOPR4898.jpg
    GOPR4898.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 100
  • GOPR4902.jpg
    GOPR4902.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 98
I realize I didnt give any advice for dive operators since I dont normally like to cheerlead on here but I'll throw a couple recommendations for lionfish hunting. @Sloeber 's advice was spot on. Pretty much everyone you ask will give you their opinion on the "BEST DIVE OPERATOR EVER" in Cozumel, just like every restaurant downtown has the "BEST MEXICAN FOOD" in Cozumel. Not every dive operator wants to deal with lionfish hunting outside of the marine park when the bulk of their divers want to do southern sites inside the marine park.

Aldora Divers is a good option as they have HP120s/HP117s/HP100s. It is nice to have the extra gas if you're hunting deep as people do tend to get excited and use more gas when hunting (myself inluded). They also have enough boats to split by experience level and some of their captains know the northern sites very well. You will want to make sure they have a group that wants to go north. Sometimes this is best arranged ahead of time, start inquiring early so that they know you're interested.

Gato's Reef is another good option. They are newer dive operator and used to work for Aldora. They do not have a park permit to my knowledge so the bulk of their diving is up north which they know very very well. @ChuckP 's Ambient Diver may also go north and do hunting. I am not sure.

This is hardly an exchaustive list but just a few recommendations based on personal experiences with the boat captains and crew.

Variables are wind, current, depth, knowledge of dive sites and in some cases enough willing participants to go north are some

The vast majority of the lionfish from the pictures above were hunted at approximately 135-140' There was no lack of lionfish there but it was more a time management and gas management problem.

Those things still sting when they are dead, do they not?
They do but we trim the spines off them before putting them on a stringer. As long as you give them a proper close haircut they become harmless. :)

@BLee88 one thing about Aldora - since you have not shared your dive count and it’s not clear your dive experience. They will not take anyone north of the island unless you book some regular park dives first or they know your skill level.

HP117s are great tanks. No lead needed in warm water.

Find an op that operates outside of the marine park
There are some smaller ones that might go where you want

There are plenty of LF at shallower depths, just not on the popular dive spots in the MPA
Try Pepe Scuba at the Coral Princess.

@BLee88 Hi, may I ask which Op are you going for at the end? I've booked a last minute trip to dive in early March and also looking for Lion fish hunting too. Thanks.

Hi, may I ask which Op are you going for at the end?

Hi -

We booked with Scuba Life. They unfortunately don't do lionfish hunting trips, but we felt better with their groups being limited to 4 + DM given all the recent talks of downcurrents (its our first time to Coz).

The ops that I could find that do lionfish trips were Aldora, Scuba Du, and Ambient Divers (their website doesn't mention but Carlos, who is active here, confirmed).

Not to sound negative, but after LONG consideration, decision factors were:

Aldora - while some folks would love the 100/120s and 70-90 minute dives with Aldora, this is unfortunately not my better half's style.

Scuba Du - a strong contender of convenience given that we're staying at El Prez, but we wanted to go with a better diver/DM ratio (they mentioned that they run about 7 to 1).

Ambient - also a strong contender with amazing reviews here on SB but we wanted to be a bit more certain of being able to go out on afternoon dives.

We thought of doing a lionfish dive with Aldora or Scuba Du but moving ops for just one trip would be a hassle and they will more likely not allow just that advanced dive.

Good luck on your search!

Back
Top Bottom