Trip Report Cozumel diving report December 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Cozumel Diving December 2022

I dove with Scuba Diving Cozumel | Bottom Time Divers Cozumel and we left the marina at 8 every day.
Dive times were between 60 and 70 minutes with a couple of 75 minute ones.

Good weather and warm.
Water temps around 81-83 F. The weather in November has been hotter.
Medium currents the whole time with the first day at Palancar Gardens running slow to the south.
Alot of particulates in the water.
Quite a few tiger groupers and not many black grouper but we did see three large ones together one day.
Lot's of eels especially large Goldentail.
Quite a lot of Splendid Toadfish.
Several seahorses. I posted two but there was another greener one of a pair that I did not get.
Lots of small fish and quite a few drums.
We did not see many lionfish but did see a large on deep on, I think, Tunich wall.
We did not see alot of turtles.
A few Eagle rays and all singles. Some reported seeing a pair on a day I did not dive.

Lots of boats out and many groups of divers on the reefs. We generally picked an area where there were no or few boats.
We seemed to dive the Palancars, San francisco, Cedral wall, Punta Tunich, Yucab and Tormentos alot. Santa Rosa once. Not once did the other divers want to dive La Francesa, Dalila or Cedral Pass. Their loss.

Tons of tourists off cruise ships in town. I still haven't quite figured out the street parking. Yellow seems to mean two different things depending on the time and side of the street. They do have some signs up. The police seem to be warning people who have parked incorrectly. I don't want to have to go get my plates at the police station.

One of my tanks had a bad valve and, unrelated, my HP hose started leaking. I swapped it with a spare. The new booties rubbed my feet raw so I will have to find a solution.

One of my fin blades split in the middle almost to the end. Not quite split fins but would be. The old US Divers Blades finally gave up the ghost.
Generally the tanks were not short but did have a few. No more than usual.

Belted Cardinalfish
Coz Dec 2022 Belted Cardinalfish 001c.jpg

Fireworm
Coz Dec 2022 Fireworm 001c.jpg

Fireworm. There seemed to be alot of fireworms this time.
Coz Dec 2022 Fireworm 002c.jpg

Flamingo Tongues
Coz Dec 2022 Flamingo Tongue 001c.jpg

Goldentail Moray Eel. This one appeared to be exercising it's jaw.
Coz Dec 2022 Goldentail Moray Eel 001c.jpg

Green Turtle
Coz Dec 2022 Green Turtle 002c.jpg

Grunts with Nurse Shark
Coz Dec 2022 Grunts and Nurse Shark 001c.jpg

Harlequin Bass
Coz Dec 2022 Harlequin Bass 001c.jpg

Juvenile French Angelfish
Coz Dec 2022 Juvenile French Angelfish 001c.jpg

Lesser Electric Ray
Coz Dec 2022 Lesser Electric Ray 001c.jpg

More pics

Lizardfish
Coz Dec 2022 Lizardfish 001c.jpg

Longsnout Seahorse
Coz Dec 2022 Long Snout Seahorse 004c.jpg

Longsnout Seahorse
Coz Dec 2022 Long Snout Seahorse 007c.jpg

Octopus having a snack
Coz Dec 2022 Octopus 001c.jpg

Peacock Flounder
Coz Dec 2022 Peacock Flounder 001c.jpg

Shortfin Pipefish. This one was very small and I had the wrong lens but I got something out of it.
Coz Dec 2022 Pipehorse 002c.jpg

Roughback Batfish. Here many call it a Redlip Batfish.
Coz Dec 2022 Roughback Batfish 002c.jpg

Scorpionfish
Coz Dec 2022 Scorpionfish 001c.jpg

I am fairly sure this is a sea plume
Coz Dec 2022 Sea Plume 001c.jpg

Redband Parrotfish
Coz Dec 2022 Redband Parrotfish 001c.jpg

Last set of pics

Sharpnose puffer. However this one seems to have a false eye near the dorsal fin area which seems unusual.
Coz Dec 2022 Sharpnose puffer 001c.jpg

Juvenile Spotted Drum
Coz Dec 2022 Spotted Drum 002c.jpg

Spotted Eagle Ray
Coz Dec 2022 Spotted Eagle Ray 001c.jpg

Red Hind (corrected)
Coz Dec 2022 Tiger Grouper 001c.jpg

Yellowface PikeBlenny. This one has blue on the gills and dorsal fin but since this was deeper than 10 feet and was in rubble/sand not grass, I say Yellowface not BlueThroat PikeBlenny.
Coz Dec 2022 Yellowface Pike Blenny 001c.jpg

Juvenile Yellowhead Wrasse
Coz Dec 2022 Yellowhead Wrasse Juvenile 001c.jpg

I still haven't quite figured out the street parking. Yellow seems to mean two different things depending on the time and side of the street. They do have some signs up.
Yellow curbs at the end and the beginning of each block are NO PARKING 24 hours a day. Any other yellow curbs are NO PARKING from 9 am to 6 pm. I guess they couldn't find any red paint. For many years, yellow meant momentary parking OK (less than 15 minutes), but not now. During the day, cars can only park at curbs painted white, and only on the "store side" of the street. Motos cannot park on the Malecon now, they are supposed to park only on the calles. No parking on the "sea side" of the street during the day. The grace period is almost up.

The new booties rubbed my feet raw so I will have to find a solution.
I wear a pair of ankle high white cotton socks under my booties. They help a lot.

Great pix!

Carrying a pair of neoprene socks in your gear bag just in case you develop foot issues can save your feet a lot of breakdown.

+1 for this. Used to have an issue with my booties rubbing my toes raw neoprene socks fixed.
Thanks for the write-up and photos!

Great report and awesome photos. What camera rig are you using? We are back on New Year's Eve for another week. Looking forward to seeing some Eagle Rays. We didn't see any in October, but we did see some blacktips so I'm not complaining.

Great report and awesome photos. What camera rig are you using? We are back on New Year's Eve for another week. Looking forward to seeing some Eagle Rays. We didn't see any in October, but we did see some blacktips so I'm not complaining.
Olympus EM5 and these shots were with 12-50 lens. 2 Sea and Sea strobes.

Back
Top Bottom