Light cord over or under long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In fundie, I remember I was taught light core over long hose. Because of this, there is a dedicated step to handle the light core in air sharing. I didn't have a canister light at fundie, so I didn't get to pratice this procedure.

Last night, I tried to mod-s with my newly aquired canister light at home, I realized having light core under long hose has advantages: 1)no need to clean up light core in air sharing. 2)light core neatly tuck under long hose, won't dangle in front. The only issue I see is if I need to donate after I clip off the light head (I assume not often), long hose will be inside the light core loop, which requires a clean up step. So would light core under long hose be a better approach? Did I miss anything here?

GUE teaches light cord over. Clearing it during an OOG situation (or s-drill) is pretty simple. It's also a pretty rare/unlikely situation, so not something you have to deal with all the time. With the light cord under, you're constantly (basically every dive) having to reroute it when you clip off the primary (ascents, stage switches, deco switches, wetnote conversations, etc), assuming you don't want to trap the long hose.

Consistency is the key. If you route over, do so consistently, and ingrain the muscle memory necessary to "unwrap" the light cord during drill and donations all is good.

If you route under, and do so consistently and ingrain the muscle memory to pass the light cord under the long hose *every* time you clip off the light, all is good.

Pick one, stick with it.

Tobin

Routing over and having it slightly tangled after donating air is an easy fix and no big deal. Routing the cord under, clipping off the light and trapping the hose and preventing a donation creates the potential for a problem to become a big problem. The need to donate air is most often "temporar" during gas switches when your light is most likely to be clipped off. Route the light over - avoid the problem.

good points, good points. I haven't thought about gas switching at all, since I am not trained to do that kind of dive, yet. And it seems clipping light off happen more often than I think.

Consistency is the key. If you route over, do so consistently, and ingrain the muscle memory necessary to "unwrap" the light cord during drill and donations all is good.

If you route under, and do so consistently and ingrain the muscle memory to pass the light cord under the long hose *every* time you clip off the light, all is good.

Pick one, stick with it.

Tobin

Agreed... but

For many years I did light cord under. Most people I regularly dive with do light cord over. So I chose to switch.

And now I'm sticking with it. :D

(Next on the list of things to address is the clipping of my scooter over the long hose)

During an S drill, it's pretty easy to deal with a light cord which is routed on top.

Just donate the gas then pause and remember "drill is UNDER WAY, and drill is OVER."

So once your primary is in the OOG divers mouth (and you've OK'd & the OOG diver has clipped off their primary) - then pass your light head "UNDER" the long hose before deploying all 7'.

Then, when cleaning up after the drill, pass your light head "OVER" the long hose.

After you finish the drill, remember to run your hand from the light head down the cord to the can, to check that nothing is crossed over ;-).

This simple memory device will help you remember which way to pass the light head until the action become automatic.

I run my long hose off my left tank, in front of my left arm and behind my neck. My light is buttmounted and comes around to my right. I dont wear a light on my left hand since that contrls my dump valves.

I run my long hose off my left tank, in front of my left arm and behind my neck. My light is buttmounted and comes around to my right. I dont wear a light on my left hand since that contrls my dump valves.

Sorry, but I think you're a little lost. You just posted in the DIR forum where we follow certain guidelines for our equipment. Your hose/light configuration are not at all DIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom