Lets get MOTIVATED!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trucker girl:
Or maybe I'll sit here on my butt and post on sb. Hmm. The choices are limitless!

Hey, you! Do I need to call John and have him light a fire under your butt? :eyebrow:

You do have a bit of a "conundrum" being on a truck 24/7... but, I say you should go into a grocery store... buy some strawberries, grapes, apples, carrots, broccoli, and other healthy snacks and stock the truck up with them. :wink:

Hmmm... gotta come up with some good "on the road" workouts for you. I'll have to think on that one.... Well, you could always run Cody around the truck stops... 4 or 5 laps around the lot is a good start. Of course, you could add intensity by wearing high heels when you run. :rofl3: Or, you could take a bunch of time off this summer and go diving with ME!! :blinking: :D :)

Thanks for your feedback. I was just at an affair where health and nutritional counselors had a presentation and one on one consultation. They also measured each person's body fat using an electronic gizmo that a person holds in their hands.

The answer to my weight gain is indeed a combination of weight lifting and not doing the proper kind of aerobic exercise. Intense "aerobic weight lifting" is no substitute for things like walking, biking, snowshoeing, etc. It is the long duration cardio that takes the fat off.

They also told me to forget about weight except as the most gross measurement of progress. They told me that the key is athletic performance combined with body fat percentage.

I thought I knew some things about this stuff. But thanks to your motivation I asked the questions and got answers that will hopefully improve my health and let me dive, dive, dive.

NWGratefulDiver:
Exercises ... back in early November someone gave me a cheapo stationary bike. I put about 8 miles a day on it first thing in the morning Monday thru Friday. That's my normal routine. Depending on schedule, I may put some additional time on it after work or on week-ends, but only if I'm not teaching or diving.

Eating-wise, I'm not "dieting", but rather just raising my awareness of what I'm eating. I used to practically live on pizza, fried chicken and fast food. Now I'm cooking more meals, making an effort to eat more fruits and veggies, and reading labels more carefully to help me avoid foods with a lot of fat and sodium.

My biggest change was breakfast ... instead of eating a bowl of cereal or a plate full of Eggos (like I used to), it's two boiled eggs, a cup of low-fat yogurt, and some fruit. Seems to tide me over better, so I'm snacking less between breakfast and lunch.

I'm not looking to lose weight quickly ... four to six lbs a month suits me just fine. I want to lose it in a way that will help me ingrain my eating habits ... so there won't be an "end" to a dietary plan that results in putting the weight back on again.

Always been pretty active for a fat guy ... but I must admit, being slimmer makes it much easier to be active. And getting compliments about how much better I look don't suck either ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, that is a recipe for success. I am starting to realize (having gone through life-style adjustments myself over the past few months) that "dieting" isn't the key, changing habits is. A lot of this is awareness of what we eat and willingness to exercise more.

And, for those of you that haven't seen Bob in a while, the change is indeed remarkable . . .

ArcticDiver:
Thanks for your feedback. I was just at an affair where health and nutritional counselors had a presentation and one on one consultation. They also measured each person's body fat using an electronic gizmo that a person holds in their hands.

The answer to my weight gain is indeed a combination of weight lifting and not doing the proper kind of aerobic exercise. Intense "aerobic weight lifting" is no substitute for things like walking, biking, snowshoeing, etc. It is the long duration cardio that takes the fat off.

They also told me to forget about weight except as the most gross measurement of progress. They told me that the key is athletic performance combined with body fat percentage.

I thought I knew some things about this stuff. But thanks to your motivation I asked the questions and got answers that will hopefully improve my health and let me dive, dive, dive.

You got some really good feedback from your consultation! Thanks for sharing it with us too! Now, keep up the awesome work! :)

dsteding and Bob... you are indeed correct... "dieting" won't get you and keep you where you want to be, but habit and lifestyle change certainly will.

When people ask me "what kind of diet" I'm on... I tell them "common sense." :wink:

erparamedic:
Hmmm... gotta come up with some good "on the road" workouts for you. I'll have to think on that one.... Well, you could always run Cody around the truck stops... 4 or 5 laps around the lot is a good start. Of course, you could add intensity by wearing high heels when you run. :rofl3: Or, you could take a bunch of time off this summer and go diving with ME!! :blinking: :D :)

I WAS working out in the truck- John was even doing a little (but he gave up due to lack of coordination and motivation). We have a big bunk so we have room to do an entire aerobic work out- slightly modified so you don't break your arm/ankles! Anyway- the problem with that is that it requires 1. putting the bed up, 2. cleaning the stuff up (clothing/laundry- dog toys- bottled water- random supplies that we stash under the bed), 3. changing clothing, 4. getting a shower after... it just takes up a lot of time and when you're not in the habit its hard.

I have been taking the dog for long walks whenever possible. At the truck stops it's pretty nasty and I only do it if there's nice grass (for the dog) and if it's a safe location. I even jog with him if there's a path or something. It's good for both of us- but it's still not enough. I'm starting to do sit ups again- and I have an ab workout (Crunch DVD) and I do some of the standing ab work, too- but not the full DVD work out.

I wore heels last night- dang you! :yelling:

:rofl:

trucker girl:
I WAS working out in the truck- John was even doing a little (but he gave up due to lack of coordination and motivation). We have a big bunk so we have room to do an entire aerobic work out- slightly modified so you don't break your arm/ankles! Anyway- the problem with that is that it requires 1. putting the bed up, 2. cleaning the stuff up (clothing/laundry- dog toys- bottled water- random supplies that we stash under the bed), 3. changing clothing, 4. getting a shower after... it just takes up a lot of time and when you're not in the habit its hard.

I have been taking the dog for long walks whenever possible. At the truck stops it's pretty nasty and I only do it if there's nice grass (for the dog) and if it's a safe location. I even jog with him if there's a path or something. It's good for both of us- but it's still not enough. I'm starting to do sit ups again- and I have an ab workout (Crunch DVD) and I do some of the standing ab work, too- but not the full DVD work out.

I wore heels last night- dang you! :yelling:

:rofl:

I was actually wondering if you'd have enough room to do workouts in the truck... since the sleeper is much bigger than the "average" truck. Of course... I keep hoping you'll drive thru here and I can actually see the beast... I mean, truck... that you have! :wink: Evening/night would be optimal so I can see the cool neon blue lights. LOL (As if you'd really get to schedule the drive thru! Hah!):rofl3: You probably really wouldn't want to drive thru Indy right now anyways... I-70 is still torn up, and the truck stop close to me (Flying J, that you've mentioned) has construction all around it. It's a real pain!

Anyway... a really good DVD that only requires standing in one place... and moving no more than 3-4 feet or so is the Walk Away the Pounds DVD by Leslie Sansone... and believe me, it works! The 2 mile one is really good! Of course, one cool thing about that DVD is that if you don't have the room to move around, it's not a big deal... just modify it. I've also been doing lots of crunches.... no less than 100 at a time. I'll bet that it is hard to find a "good" and "safe" truck stop.... but I'm sure that Foxy... I mean, Cody :bowwow:... really likes the walks/jogs though. (Give him a belly rub for me!)

Don't forget... I'm ready to dive as soon as you get the chance! And diving burns LOTS of calories! :D

Oh, and tell John not to feel bad about the lack of coordination/motivation. I actually MADE Rod do some workouts with me... (one being Richard Simmons Disco Blast Off :rofl3:) and he was pathetic, and I mean PA-THET-IC! LOL :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom