Lets get MOTIVATED!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt_NJ:
What excersizes are you all doing to lose weight? Right now i'm trying to do as much time as I can on an orbital machine and some low weight/high rep excersizes on various weight machines...
Exercises ... back in early November someone gave me a cheapo stationary bike. I put about 8 miles a day on it first thing in the morning Monday thru Friday. That's my normal routine. Depending on schedule, I may put some additional time on it after work or on week-ends, but only if I'm not teaching or diving.

Eating-wise, I'm not "dieting", but rather just raising my awareness of what I'm eating. I used to practically live on pizza, fried chicken and fast food. Now I'm cooking more meals, making an effort to eat more fruits and veggies, and reading labels more carefully to help me avoid foods with a lot of fat and sodium.

My biggest change was breakfast ... instead of eating a bowl of cereal or a plate full of Eggos (like I used to), it's two boiled eggs, a cup of low-fat yogurt, and some fruit. Seems to tide me over better, so I'm snacking less between breakfast and lunch.

I'm not looking to lose weight quickly ... four to six lbs a month suits me just fine. I want to lose it in a way that will help me ingrain my eating habits ... so there won't be an "end" to a dietary plan that results in putting the weight back on again.

Always been pretty active for a fat guy ... but I must admit, being slimmer makes it much easier to be active. And getting compliments about how much better I look don't suck either ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been watching this Challenge without posting. I know, very unusual for me, but it has been great seeing the reports and the progress.

It has motivated me to figure out why I'm not losing weight; not a pound. In fact after my gym session yesterday doing squats, dead lifts, and cores I am 3.5# heavier today. As Bob will testify my eating is pretty good.

When I travel and can't exercise I lose weight. Back in the gym and I gain it.

Sure would be nice to get back to a smaller size pant.

Are you gaining muscle Arctic? Or possibly, are you not eating enough when you are working out? Not properly nourishing your body will lead it to think that you are a famine situation, and it will start storing fat. Odd how are bodies can harp back to prehistoric reactions.

I think everyone is different I swear by the treadmill, if I use it I do fine, if I don't after a day or two I will gain. I am 100% positive I have no metabolism or thyroid (but the doctor says different, hey what do they know :rofl3: )

It is raining now so my after work hike plans got derailed, guess it is the treadmill for me. Even if it weren't raining it went from a wonderful 91 degrees to 55 degrees over night. Far too cold to go outside if it isn't necessary. :D

Food? I try to eat enough. High protein, low fat diet with fruits and vegetables.

Hmmm, hadn't thought about gaining muscle. I'm not lifting any more weight than I have been. Doing a few more reps though. My gut isn't getting any smaller. Have to think about that.

LindaBluedolphin:
Just curious Ber, how tall are you? It does not look like you need to lose an ounce!

Just shy of 5'7". I was 118 pounds and scrawny for years then finally got up to 125 and I liked the way that looked. The 140 looks fine on me (it actually covered some bony areas) but there's a couple of pudgy spots that need to go away and the body fat % drop is helping that. It's still hard seeing the 140 and going up a size or so in clothing after 2 years at a desk job. I had to eat like a horse for 8 years to get up to 125 from 118 and my dimensions never changed when I worked in a physically active job. I used to be "cut", you could see the definition of most of my muscles even the tiny ones. Now there's a layer of fat filling in between the skin and the muscles and my definition is mostly gone...sigh
Ber :lilbunny:

I wish I had some of those problems, I see food and it just jumps on my hips like a magnet were attracting it. :rofl3:

I wonder if aerobic exercise with things like bike riding, hiking, etc has a different effect than aerobic exercise from intense weight lifting in getting rid of a gut?

Okay. So I was bad last night (fried stuff). And the night before (desert- and it really wasn't even very good- I mean, if I'm going to have fat/calorie intake, it'd better be worth it!). I'm at a Wal-Mart right now. Maybe I'll go see if they have a small scale I can stash somewhere in here without stubbing my toe on it or having it fall on my head when I open a cabinet...

Back
Top Bottom