Length of the 24" SPG hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liuk3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have problems with the 24" length of the SPG hose? If so, I am just wondering how tall you are. Trying to decide if it is too short for me or not. I am 6 ft. tall and 215 lbs, and I am diving a single tank rig. I'm working with it to see if I can get used to it. Thanks.

When i changed too one it certainly felt very short.
You soon get used to unclipping and pulling it up under your arm to look at it. It just feels quite different at first

When i changed too one it certainly felt very short.
You soon get used to unclipping and pulling it up under your arm to look at it. It just feels quite different at first

In OW its no big deal but in tech and cave diving you should bring the spg over the left arm. This allows you to shine your light on it to get it to glow if necessary (or just to see it) without making crazy light signals. Ie. the light always shines roughly forward where your buddies expect it to be.

Taking 2 seconds to shine your light on an SPG that is pulled forward under your arm (which is also not particularly difficult even if you have a bottle or two) shouldn't mess up your buddy's SA of where you are. "Should" in this case is way to strong a word, IMO.

J

Taking 2 seconds to shine your light on an SPG that is pulled forward under your arm (which is also not particularly difficult even if you have a bottle or two) shouldn't mess up your buddy's SA of where you are. "Should" in this case is way to strong a word, IMO.

J

cave really opened my eyes to how well you need to have good light discipline in order to move fast. it was important to have the proper temporary hold with the right hand, and it was important to bring the SPG up to the light, rather than flashing the SPG with the light.

J

For Cave1: Nope, you absolutely need that light forward 100% of the time. You'd be surprised how jarring it is (in virtually infinite vis) when its not. People if front get their whole scheme screwed with by starting to turn around every time you check your gauge. That really mucks with team unity, speed and tempo. And for someone in the back its potentially worse cause it shines at them.

For Tech1: Obviously if you have a bottle you have to unhook the hose from inside the bottle. At this point you might as well bring it outside your arm and look at in properly.

I bring mine forward under the armpit sometimes, but only when I can see it without my light anyway.

I hate the 24" SPG hose. I dive a 26" with my single 130 rigs.

I nearly always unclip it to check it, but I bring it under my arm and don't do the Flail Check. I unclip, turn head left, check it, re-clip. Even on the trigger I don't need to do the Flail Check.

The DIR Police haven't knocked on the door yet.

---
Ken

Question for the DIR police:

Does DIR allow for minor variations in hose lengths in order to better fit each individual?

It seems to me that DIR is about being both (1) uniform in configuration and (2) smart, so that small variations are allowable in order to get the desired results.

For instance, if the standard backup reg hose was too long for me, could I go with a slightly shorter hose for a better fit and still be orthodox DIR?

Or if the 24-inch SPG hose was too short for a tall individual, could that person go with a slightly longer hose?

Luik3, I am 6 feet tall too. While the standard backplate seems a bit short for me, the 24-inch SPG hose is perfect.

Question for the DIR police:

Does DIR allow for minor variations in hose lengths in order to better fit each individual?

It seems to me that DIR is about being both (1) uniform in configuration and (2) smart, so that small variations are allowable in order to get the desired results.

For instance, if the standard backup reg hose was too long for me, could I go with a slightly shorter hose for a better fit and still be orthodox DIR?

Or if the 24-inch SPG hose was too short for a tall individual, could that person go with a slightly longer hose?

Luik3, I am 6 feet tall too. While the standard backplate seems a bit short for me, the 24-inch SPG hose is perfect.

The lengths that are often quoted as gospel are merely starting points. It would be totally ridiculous to require someone to use a hose length that doesn't work for them, so yes minor variations in hose length to accomodate different body sizes are not only allowed but required in order to optimize each individual's equipment configuration. That said, variations of more than a couple of inches are usually an indication that something else is not right with the equipment configuration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom