Length of the 24" SPG hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is something that has bothered me for awhile -- the idea that in DIR your light while cave diving should always be in the same spot. I've seen it posted here several times now. I'm not cave certified but I'll look at it from a logical point of view:

I don't think that has actually been said.

What you don't want to be doing is making flashes with your light and not keeping it under control. Your light needs to be in the field of view of your buddy in front of you. If your buddy in front is referencing the line with his peripheral vision and looking off to the right for a jump line or at a formation or whatever, you should have your light off to the right somewhere in their FOV. And you both should be scanning with your lights, so if you've come off your buddies light spot for awhile, you find it again with your light. You just need to maintain light contact with your buddy and maintain awareness of the line. You can usually easily do that while looking at other stuff...

You can usually easily do that while looking at other stuff...
Including an SPG (which might be on a stage where it can't be swung up over the shoulder).

Jeesh all this for a suggestion to build good habits early and not let seemingly casual OW diving build wacky habits like not bringing your spg up. Or worse flip - checking it (that's when you don't even unclip it) just bending it up so if you tuck your chin you see it. Not only do both approaches potentially lead to poor light habits, they can also lead to dropping your head significantly and losing trim. Maybe not a big deal for the experienced divers here, but when you're first starting out little tricks can help you stay smoother, more in balance and unwittingly help you and your team's future transitions to higher level diving. I believe that's what Joe T. trying to teach me in Fundementals a few years ago and it seemed to work. His capabilities are missed.

Nah, I think it was:
"In cave diving you really need to bring the spg to the light not the other way around."

It gave the impression that you were not allowed to move your light.

I'll give your method a shot this weekend.

I skipped some posts...
I'm about 6'6"-6'7" and I use a long pattern FredT Backplate.
I use a regular size brass SPG on a 24" hose, and I have not had any big issues. The only change I would make is to use a larger SS clip, and leave a little extra slack on the cave line. I tied mine a little too short, I think...

I'm not DIR, at least not yet, but I am tall :wink:

I was thinking about this today.

Could the position of where the boltsnap is tied have an effect on whether it's 'easy' or 'hard' to unclip? Recently when diving singles I have noticed that it takes a good bit of fumbling to unclip (then again I'm wearing gloves) vs diving doubles with the same length SPG hose.

My boltsnap is tied off on the hose rather than on the metal piece towards the end (as shown in this picture). If I moved it onto the metal piece I'm wondering if it'd be easier to clip/unclip.

SPG.jpg

Nah the D R gauge just doesn't play well with the I. :eyebrow:

Actually mine are tied off the same, although I use a bigger snap cause even with dry gloves my hands are sometimes numb. Do you clip gate "back" or gate "forward"? I try to always go gate back towards my butt.

The hose might be a touch short with the snap mounted higher and the slightly longer run from the center of your back to the dring. Moving the snap closer to the spg can certainly help.

Yeah, mine is tied off on the round spot of the guage just below the guage itself. I also think I used a slightly different tie off than you have there. It is my own invention, although I'm sure some boyscout has a name for it. The knot part is similar to the one GUE endorses for tying snaps onto lights.

Tom

I haven't had trouble reading the gauge under-the-arm on a 24", but can't show it to my buddy that way (S-drill). It's a pain to chicken-wing to an overhand position, Instead of fighting it, I've been doing the drop-catch instead.

i tie mine at the swivel.
too close to the gauge and you have issues when you unclip with gloves (have to splay some fingers behind the gauge and it makes unclipping awkward)
too far back also raises some issues... and may make your knot work loose or drag back and forth along the hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom