Left or Right Wrist for Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaverickNH

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a console computer with SPG and compass and am buying a wrist computer with pressure transmitter. Assuming I use the wrist as a primary and console as backup (Alladin 2G and Galileo Sol, respectively), what are the pro's and con's of putting the wrist computer on left or right wrists?

Thoughts gathered from reading other posts this far.

Right Wrist
PRO
1. Can use inflator in left and monitor computer on right during ascent (but run out of hands to hold buoy line)
CON
2. Primary is on right regulator HP port so transmitter would go on left, reducing signal

Left Wrist
PRO
1. Transmitter and computer on left, with better signal
2. Can dump air with right hand on right shoulder dump and monitor ascent rate (again, out of hands for buoy line)

I'm a videographer and carry my camera in my right hand so my computers are on my left. I use my rear dump valve which is on the left. However, I don't use wireless.

Like Bill I use my computer on my left wrist, camera with right hand. Computer faces inwards so that I can easily quickly monitor it when taking photographs.

There is nothing that precludes holding a buoy line with the hand on which you have your computer. If the computer is aligned the right way, you'll be able to see it while holding the line.

I also do not use wireless but computer and watch go on right wrist with bottom timer and compass on left. SPG is basic brass and glass on 24 inch hose on all my rigs. This way I can monitor depth and ascent rate with either hand. And no additional failure points generated by the transmitter.

You primary regulator goes on a LP port. Only AI transmitters, power tools, and air gauges go on the HP port.
Regulators and inflators go on the LP port.

There really is no right answer, but there is a practicality to which arm you put it on.

On the Right arm you're able to see your computer on the fly while utilizing your inflator hose, and your Bp/W butt dump.
In fact with a Bp/W all your dumps are on your left side, usually. With a camera, your shutter button's activated with your right hand, usually that's the natural hand that will always stays on the camera/lanyard, you'll probably have that hand in front of you most of the time.
So with these cases the right arm is a good choice IMO.

With stock BC's however you have your butt and shoulder dumps on your right side, usually. If you use these to dump air then your right arm may not be a good choice. During ascents you'll have to take your computer away from view when using these dumps.
In this case some may opt to place the computer on their left arm. With this config you may even be able to view your analog SPG and wrist computer at the same time.

My personal preference is to have it on my right arm. Although my BC has it's butt and shoulder dumps on the right, it only takes me a few seconds to activate it. I'm also very comfortable with my buoyancy control and rates of ascent w/o looking at a gauge reading. Recently I'm making the switch to a Bp/W (been planning it for a while) so having my computer on the right arm just seems ergonomic for the long haul.

Biggest advice I can give you is to think about OOA ascents. How will your hands will be placed, where will you be linked, and how will your computer be viewed in that mix?

FWIW, having the computer on your right vs left wrist should have a negligible effect on the useful signal strength of a hoseless AI computer... Given that your body will attenuate the RF signal at roughly the same rate as water (since we have such high water content in our bodies to begin with), even if you consider the signal having to pass through your body when going from the left side of your reg to your right arm-mounted computer, the attenuation would be little different than passing through the same distance of water. Further, the physical difference in distance from the left side to left arm vs left side to right arm is relatively small as well. The AI's datalink should have built these minor variances into the link's fade margin so that it wouldn't make a difference.

Given the above, if an AI computer struggles to maintain a link when wearing it on your right arm vs left arm, I would argue that the link so weak that you shouldn't rely on it in the first place, even if it's on your left arm.

With that out of the way, I wear my dive computer on my right side arm. Not only can I look at it while operating dumps/inflators, it works perfect with my camera, as I can keep an eye on it while holding onto the grip (I have the computer rotated in to the side of my wrist so I can easily see it while both holding the camera, and while the camera is clipped off and my hands are free)

I don't use and air integrated comp but for me I put mine of my left wrist. Simply for 2 reasons i tend to do stuff with my right hand and I hold my dive light in my right and on ascent its easy for me to have my comp visible and just flick my shoulder up to dump gas from my drysuit. TBH I think its mostly preference try it on other wrist for a few dives and see which you like more.

Back
Top Bottom