Left or Right Wrist for Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right hand because I am left handed....

I keep my main DC on my right wrist and my back up time piece (watch or DC on gauge mode) on my left. Normally I will use my left hand to control buoyancy (inflator, deflator, purge) of my wing and keep the right one in front of me to monitor my DC.

I also tilt them toward me (gauge on wrist bone) so I can still read them when holding on to a line or holding a camera, etc)

Whatever works for you! I use my primary on my right wrist. It's easier to check depth while making adjustments via LPI.

I see that a lot of those posting use two DCs - which is indeed very sensible.

However, as the OP posted this in the 'New Diver' section, I think it's also sensible to point out that doing so isn't a necessity or a requirement. Redundancy is important, but we don't want to scare off the newcomers by giving the impression that they need to invest in two DCs!

Dive Computers are great - using one allows you to log your dives more precisely, more conveniently and in more detail. But, they're not a substitute for planning the dive 'traditionally' or for carrying analogue gauges and a watch - in the unlikely event that your wrist DC does fail, you'll be very glad to have kept that console clipped to your hip and have the facility to deal with the situation calmly, informed and without guesswork - without them, you would be 'flying blind' and have to call the dive immediately... plus, if you keep your RDP or slate with your planned dive in a pocket, you'd still be able to finish your dive as planned! :wink:

Computer & bottom timer on right arm, compass on right hand. F-pocket & wrist slate on left arm.

Let's drop the freakin' AI debate...it's been beaten to death over and over.

I'm going to go with "whichever side works for you." It's all personal preference and as many people as answer this will have that many different justifications for their choice. They're all right. (Or all left.) Personally I wear it on my left because that's where I used to wear a watch when I wore a wristwatch. I've been putting my compass on my right because I use it less. I have no issues seeing my computer while using my inflator to dump air so I'm not sure what that's all about.

I went with what felt natural to me. I wear a watch on my left wrist every day, so I put my DC on my left, as that is what I naturally look at when I need info. I move my dive watch over to my right side when I have my DC on, but I rarely look at it and it is there just to serve as a backup in case the computer dies halfway through the dive.

I'm not a photographer or video guy, so I can't speak to load issues. I haven't had any issues to date with my setup and empty hands.

I actually had a Savant about 13 years ago which I wore on the inside of my left wrist. It had a large display which I could easily monitor while using my inflator with the left hand. But alas, down the road, my forty year old eyes mandated my purchasing a larger display computer I could hold out on my right wrist.

I did pay 80 bucks to put a cheater in my primary mask, but that eventually started leaking. I did not want to pay another 80 bucks per mask to install cheaters. So I bit the bullet and purchased a Sol.

I wear computer on right wrist, compass on left and SPG on 24" hose. I like this set up and have found it works well for the majority of my diving. However last diving holiday I had I did lots of night diving, where I carry my light in my right hand also (with lanyard) I did find it somewhat awkward when I wanted to look at my computer (was using Gekko) I had to switch light to left hand in order to illuminate screen. Then I started, when night diving, wearing my computer on my left wrist. Have now decided I want an OLED display computer which solves all issues and allows me to keep comp on right wrist. The Liquidvision Lynx is in my sights. As others have said largely down personal preference and what works for you with how you dive. One question though Im confused as to why you cannot put transmitter on right HP port or does your 1st stage only have one HP?

Left wrist, because I'm right-hand dominant. It's just easier to put it on my left wrist with my right hand. It doesn't really affect my ascents because I'm used to the general speed of ascent that I don't need to look at the computer frequently. It also allows my dominant hand to be freer. Plus all my other gauges are on the left side.

Personal preference really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom