Leather goods recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have bought a few real leather bags at the shop on the same side of the street as Mega a little north towards town. We had friends visiting, one loved a particular style but she wanted it a bit larger. They made it for her! it was not going to be ready by the time they had to leave. I picked it up and was impressed with how nice it was.

I have bought a few real leather bags at the shop on the same side of the street as Mega a little north towards town. We had friends visiting, one loved a particular style but she wanted it a bit larger. They made it for her! it was not going to be ready by the time they had to leave. I picked it up and was impressed with how nice it was.
Sounds like Veari.

Agreed, though with the "good fakes" it is hard to know what you should be paying.

I remember 25 years ago or so on the main strip when I was much younger and dumber and visiting the island as a cruise ship tourist pre being certified there was a shop selling fake everything including watches. I checked it out and in the cabinet was all these fake watches. And in that cabinet was a 2-tone Rolex Sea Dweller that looked absolutely beautiful. Sweeping mechanical movement, true glass/crystal, etc. An absolutely perfect fake. It had a price of $300 on it for a watch (if it were real) prob cost $10K+ back then. I negotiated down to $150. I still have it but haven't worn it for years. It is such a good fake that when I did wear it for a few years and walked around Coz as a gringo I could see all locals, store owners , etc. locking their eyes on it. That could make me a target for who knows what.

This is why I say, if you're traveling abroad DO NOT wear anything real OR FAKE. Criminals don't know the difference, they just see a tourist and assume whatever you are wearing could be real. They will attack you, take it, and figure out if it's real or fake later.

Stupid people who travel to the 2nd or 3rd world countries and foolishly wear real of fake jewelry/watches/bags/etc. are complete fools asking for trouble. You're supposed to be enjoying yourself, not trying to show off to a bunch of strangers.

This is why I say, if you're traveling abroad DO NOT wear anything real OR FAKE. Criminals don't know the difference, they just see a tourist and assume whatever you are wearing could be real. They will attack you, take it, and figure out if it's real or fake later.

Stupid people who travel to the 2nd or 3rd world countries and foolishly wear real of fake jewelry/watches/bags/etc. are complete fools asking for trouble. You're supposed to be enjoying yourself, not trying to show off to a bunch of strangers.
Regardless of where you are and what you may be wearing or carrying in terms of jewelry and accessories, it is important to practice situational awareness. If you are in a dodgy part of town and appear to be affluent the risk is higher. Add alcohol to the mix and things can change quickly.

That said, the chance of being attacked in a mainstream tourist locale is relatively low. Our awareness and concern is nonetheless heightened by press reports when things do happen. Travelers should at the very least do some preliminary reading on their destination and familiarize themselves with the local security situation.

I remember 25 years ago or so on the main strip when I was much younger and dumber and visiting the island as a cruise ship tourist pre being certified there was a shop selling fake everything including watches. I checked it out and in the cabinet was all these fake watches. And in that cabinet was a 2-tone Rolex Sea Dweller that looked absolutely beautiful. Sweeping mechanical movement, true glass/crystal, etc. An absolutely perfect fake. It had a price of $300 on it for a watch (if it were real) prob cost $10K+ back then. I negotiated down to $150. I still have it but haven't worn it for years. It is such a good fake that when I did wear it for a few years and walked around Coz as a gringo I could see all locals, store owners , etc. locking their eyes on it. That could make me a target for who knows what.

There are still a few stores I saw openly selling fake Rolex. Usually very gaudy, bejeweled numbers that would be +100k if real.

Just curious, does yours still run? That would be some longevity on the fake!

With the current Rolex market (insane), there are "superfakes" coming out of Asia and the Middle East that are impossible to differentiate unless a watchmaker opens the back case. They even have technology that auto-generates serial numbers to line up with current issues. I believe Rolex has changed to a more randomized system, but there are still millions of serials that are sequential and duplicated.

There are still a few stores I saw openly selling fake Rolex. Usually very gaudy, bejeweled numbers that would be +100k if real.

Just curious, does yours still run? That would be some longevity on the fake!

With the current Rolex market (insane), there are "superfakes" coming out of Asia and the Middle East that are impossible to differentiate unless a watchmaker opens the back case. They even have technology that auto-generates serial numbers to line up with current issues. I believe Rolex has changed to a more randomized system, but there are still millions of serials that are sequential and duplicated.

It still runs but I haven't worn it for many years. I can take it out and wind it up and it will run but what's the point? This fake was not bejeweled to the bling-bling level that reeks fake... It was a fantastic, low-key 2-tone fake so Kudos to whoever produced these things back then. At the end of the day it's just a piece of fake garbage that resides in a little jewelry cabinet with a bunch of other worthless stuff. If our home ever gets broken into and burglars find that they'll think they hit the jackpot and run with that piece of fake junk! The antique jewerly cabinet it's in is worth 30x what that watch is worth but they'll not be interested in that. LOL!

We get leather goods at Dejavú. It’s on the ocean side of Melgar a bit south of Rock ‘n Java, nearly across from Veari.

I have all my shoes made there, and Ray will make pretty much anything you want (but no fakes). Unsurprisingly, he’s best at things with a traditional Mexican look. It’ll probably take longer than he says, though.

We also get all our silver (mostly custom) there.

We get leather goods at Dejavú. It’s on the ocean side of Melgar a bit south of Rock ‘n Java, nearly across from Veari.

I have all my shoes made there, and Ray will make pretty much anything you want (but no fakes). Unsurprisingly, he’s best at things with a traditional Mexican look. It’ll probably take longer than he says, though.

We also get all our silver (mostly custom) there.

Who is Ray? I thought Antonio was the owner of that place. I remember Antonio said his family or his siblings made lots of leather goods so maybe Ray is a brother? During the really tough Covid shutdowns I think Antonio said he was learning the making of leather goods from his family so maybe he tried to go in that direction a little while before getting back into the jewelry again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom