Whale Shark Excursions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue H2o Cozumel does daily tours. We started on June 1 and go until Sept 17. August is a good time to swim with the whale sharks. June we have more weather related issues but we have been seeing a lot of sharks since we started. We have a transport van that goes direct from Playa to marina in Cancun. We leave on 7am ferry, our guide leaves with you from Cozumel. Read our reviews on trip advisor. We have been doing this for 14 years now. The pics are from this past week. Book direct www.blueh2ocozumel.com/whalesharks
With us leaving the marina later with our people, its usually less chaotic experience because most of the boats are returning back when we arrive to the shark area. We are normally one of the last boats left with the sharks. If all goes to schedule we are back to Cozumel on the 5 pm ferry. There is 3 ferry companies operating so a ferry departing every half hour.

Attachments

• wssmall.jpg
    wssmall.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 17
  • ws03.jpg
    ws03.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 18
  • ws03a.jpg
    ws03a.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 16
We did a snorkel with the whale sharks in Aug of 2022 and we, as a family, agree to not talk about it. From Cozumel you will take a 45min ferry to Isla Mujeres, a 90min bus ride to Cancun, and then many hours to where the whale sharks might be. We were on the boat for 8 hours. Then another bus and ferry ride back. We never saw a whale shark and even if we did it still wasn't worth it to us. It was a horrible experience and very expensive.
I dont know any operator who would be out looking for sharks for 8 hrs? The whale shark area closes at 2pm in the afternoon and tours are not allowed past that time. That would have you back to the marina at 6pm or later?

If we did our full last day in Cancun or playa del Carmen, does that change things? Is there an operator that would do diving + whale sharks in one trip?
No Op is going to combine Scuba and Domino snorkeling. There are various approaches to flying open-jaw tickets into Cozumel and out of Cancun but you have to be creative with planning, flexible with challenges, and willing to do & pay significantly more.

We did the "do & pay significantly more" trip, renting a one-way car to be picked up in PDC and dropped at Cancun airport. We parked the car at the ferry to Holbox for three nights, did three nights in Holbox and dived two morning boat trips to swim with the big sharks. It was great, but it was before Google Maps served the peninsula and before the new shortcut highway so we got lost both ways, having to detour thru Valladolid going and dealing with how to find the airport from downtown Cancun returning, then having to park the car at the airport and call the rental company to come get it! We made it tho.
I dont know any operator who would be out looking for sharks for 8 hrs? The whale shark area closes at 2pm in the afternoon and tours are not allowed past that time.
Nope.
We were on the boat for 8 hours.
Exaggerating? Misremembering?
We did a snorkel with the whale sharks in Aug of 2022 and we, as a family, agree to not talk about it.
That's probably why. It does sound like an awful day tho.

When people do the whale shark experience they really must realize that it is a wild encounter and there are times ( several days each month) that there will be no sharks seen. This can be from several factors such as lack of food ( sharks are here to eat fish eggs and if the tuna arent laying eggs then you will see no sharks), or maybe a storm blew in day before which messes up their food..... sometimes even storm near the area. ( the whale sharks will disappear from the surface when a low pressure system is close ( ie...hurricane). Operators have no control over the sharks but still some people think they are going to a dolphinarium type of experience. Some of the tour resellers promote it as a relaxing swim......:rofl3:. Every day is different with the sharks . On average though, it is a very high chance that you will swim with them. I do this tour almost every day so I see what occurs.

Reactions: JFS
Since you're not allowed to scuba with the whale sharks, I can't imagine any operator would risk having tanks on board. I think you're looking at two separate trips. You might be able to get back to the dock in time for an afternoon dive. You should be aware that the diving in Cancun / Isla Mujeres doesn't compare, at all, to the quality of diving in Cozumel. When we stay on Isla, we leave our dive gear at home.

a relaxing swim
Very relaxing... worrying about all the other boats, and their props, very close by, the other people swimming madly and not paying attention to their surroundings and keeping an eye on where the other whale sharks are. It is, to put it mildly, a bit of a goat rodeo.

I could not keep up with my designated Dominoes. I was amazed at the DM swam with every pair that went in, every time. We tipped $10 each per trip which isn't a lot, but I guess the skipper was impressed as he got me & my home bug a Manta to swim with! 🐟

One year we did a side trip to Holbox to swim with the sharks up there. It was a hassle to get there (rent car in Playa, drive, take foot ferry to Holbox) but it was a great experience.

The island (actually a spit of land north of Cancun) is very laid back ... relatively quiet, sand streets, golf carts etc. Vis wasn't great and the shark encounters were fairly fleeting compared to other places I have been but there's lots of other wildlife to see, great food and the whole relaxed atmosphere made for a fun escape.

This was 10+ years ago so it may have all changed now. I hope not but it's usually the way with undiscovered gems.

This was 10+ years ago so it may have all changed now.
There is a new hiway shortcut now, and I'd bet that google maps might work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom