Whale Shark Excursions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very relaxing... worrying about all the other boats, and their props, very close by, the other people swimming madly and not paying attention to their surroundings and keeping an eye on where the other whale sharks are. It is, to put it mildly, a bit of a goat rodeo.
Thats why I dont mind leaving at the time we do. There is usually not a lot of boats and people when we are out in the area. Within half an hour of arriving there is under 8 boats left from the normal 80 in the morning as long as there are sharks. Much better experience than your goat rodeo.

One year we did a side trip to Holbox to swim with the sharks up there. It was a hassle to get there (rent car in Playa, drive, take foot ferry to Holbox) but it was a great experience.

The island (actually a spit of land north of Cancun) is very laid back ... relatively quiet, sand streets, golf carts etc. Vis wasn't great and the shark encounters were fairly fleeting compared to other places I have been but there's lots of other wildlife to see, great food and the whole relaxed atmosphere made for a fun escape.

This was 10+ years ago so it may have all changed now. I hope not but it's usually the way with undiscovered gems.
A lot of the boats from Holbox will travel to the same area where the Isla Mujares boats go in the blue water. Its probably double the boat ride. If they dont want to travel that far then there is usually sharks in the green water which has the lower vis.

Whale Sharks aren't in the vicinity of Cozumel. You'd need to go to Cancun or Isla Mujeres to do the trip. Since most (if not all) of the boats leave around 8am, there's no way you'd be able to make it from Cozumel without spending a night in either Cancun or Isla. The Whale Shark season runs from June 1 to Sept 15 but the odds to see them are much lower at the start and at the end of the season. Usually they say from early July to mid Aug is best.
thanks!

Mid July to end of August is best time to see them based on my personal daily experience. This year has been off to a good start in June with lots of sharks. The peak shark season is near end of july to mid august. Last season we had tons of sharks and mantas right up till sept 17 closing day.

Thats why I dont mind leaving at the time we do. There is usually not a lot of boats and people when we are out in the area. Within half an hour of arriving there is under 8 boats left from the normal 80 in the morning as long as there are sharks. Much better experience than your goat rodeo.
8 boats sounds a lot better than the 30+ we had. We were lucky and were the second boat on the pod so got some good early snorkels in before the hoards arrived with several people on various boats chumming the water with their vomit. This was also pre life jacket days so I was able to free dive 30 feet down with them. We enjoyed it until it started feel way overcrowded and, frankly, a bit unsafe.

8 boats sounds a lot better than the 30+ we had. We were lucky and were the second boat on the pod so got some good early snorkels in before the hoards arrived with several people on various boats chumming the water with their vomit. This was also pre life jacket days so I was able to free dive 30 feet down with them. We enjoyed it until it started feel way overcrowded and, frankly, a bit unsafe.
That's when it wasnt so regulated as it is now. CONANP is usually present and monitoring all boats. No freediving anymore. Wetsuits are ok to use otherwise lifejacket is mandatory. You must remain on surface. 12 years ago there were 120+ boats going out. Now maybe 70? Most of the boats leave early at or before 8am. Blue H2o Cozumel leaves marina at 930am so we arrive to the shark area when most boats are returning back.

That's when it wasnt so regulated as it is now. CONANP is usually present and monitoring all boats. No freediving anymore. Wetsuits are ok to use otherwise lifejacket is mandatory. You must remain on surface. 12 years ago there were 120+ boats going out. Now maybe 70? Most of the boats leave early at or before 8am. Blue H2o Cozumel leaves marina at 930am so we arrive to the shark area when most boats are returning back.
Sounds like you run a good trip for those on Cozumel who want to swim with the Whale Sharks. A Facebook friend just posted that they did a trip with you and really enjoyed it.

Reactions: JFS
Blue H2o Cozumel does daily tours. We started on June 1 and go until Sept 17. August is a good time to swim with the whale sharks. June we have more weather related issues but we have been seeing a lot of sharks since we started. We have a transport van that goes direct from Playa to marina in Cancun. We leave on 7am ferry, our guide leaves with you from Cozumel. Read our reviews on trip advisor. We have been doing this for 14 years now. The pics are from this past week. Book direct www.blueh2ocozumel.com/whalesharks
With us leaving the marina later with our people, its usually less chaotic experience because most of the boats are returning back when we arrive to the shark area. We are normally one of the last boats left with the sharks. If all goes to schedule we are back to Cozumel on the 5 pm ferry. There is 3 ferry companies operating so a ferry departing every half hour.
looks amazing, great shots

Reactions: JFS
I wish I was exaggerating.
This was our schedule:
6:15am: cab ride from hotel to Ferry
7-7:30am: ferry ride to Playa del Carmen
8am-9:30am: van ride to north Cancun
10am-3pm: Boat around looking for whale sharks
3pm-4pm: boat to Isle Meujeres
4pm-5pm: Anchored near Isle Meujeres beach, not actually landing
5pm-6pm: boat back to Cancun
6pm-7:30pm: Van ride to Playa del Carmen