Whale Shark Excursions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an experience similar to @springsboy in July 2022. We did see whale sharks, briefly. But the experience was not good. 2 whale sharks, 30 or 40 boats with 10 or 20 customers per boat. It was a mess. Myself and the 2 friends I was traveling with agreed that while it was neat to see the sharks for about 30-60 seconds each, it was not a worthwhile trip.

Next time I'm in the area, I'd much rather spend another day drift diving near Cozumel, or in the cenotes near Tulum/Playa.

I wish I was exaggerating.
This was our schedule:
6:15am: cab ride from hotel to Ferry
7-7:30am: ferry ride to Playa del Carmen
8am-9:30am: van ride to north Cancun
10am-3pm: Boat around looking for whale sharks
3pm-4pm: boat to Isle Meujeres
4pm-5pm: Anchored near Isle Meujeres beach, not actually landing
5pm-6pm: boat back to Cancun
6pm-7:30pm: Van ride to Playa del Carmen
8pm-8:30pm: Ferry ride to Cozumel
Cab ride back to hotel.
There is possibility, however rare, that you may be out longer. Ive been out a few times where we went out way into green water zone closer to Holbox because there were no sharks in the blue water. Those days will add an extra hour or 2 onto the schedule. It may happen once a year if that? Its not a common thing. Most of the time the schedule is what is told. Sometimes there is traffic delays that throw off the schedule too. Glad all the road construction is done around airport and Cancun......Every day is different experience on the whale shark tour and we have no control over what mother nature throws at us.

The time we stayed in Holbox and swam with the Dominoes for two days, we had a long boat ride, but plenty of sharks. I guess some days are just better than others. Weather happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom