Leather goods recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are in Cozumel now, and my daughter would like to find a nice leather bag. I told her I would ask the good folks of scubaboard to see if anyone had recommendations. Shopping for leather goods is just not my thing.

Any recommendations?

Like jewelry, don't spend more than you can afford to lose. It sounds crazy but there is real leather, bonded leather made from scraps and fibers and remnants of real leather that are re-used and that end up being 10-20% real leather bonded with chemicals and fillers and such, and PU leather that is 100% synthetic. The parts and pieces and the 100% fake stuff is all sprayed down with leather scent and usually the whole store you walk into will reek of that leather smell. So, you assume this must be a hard core leather store because the stench of leather about blows you out the door. Not true. If she finds a bag that would cost $500 in the states for $50 - $100 something is wrong. I got burned 25 years ago in just such a store and I'm pretty sure while the store names and owners have changed and relocated over and over the same old tricks played on tourists haven't.

That being said, if she wants a cool fake that looks good for a little while for $50-$100 bucks there's nothing wrong with that but it's not gonna last and will end up in a land fill in a few years.

It is difficult if not impossible for the average consumer to determine the relative quality and value of a fake bag. This is why the production and marketing of these bags is so lucrative. So, the best outcome is finding something that is pleasing to the eye, functional and reasonably priced.

It is difficult if not impossible for the average consumer to determine the relative quality and value of a fake bag. This is why the production and marketing of these bags is so lucrative. So, the best outcome is finding something that is pleasing to the eye, functional and reasonably priced.
Most women and probably even some men can tell you if one of those fake bags are good quality or not just by playing with it lol. My wife was instantly able to tell me that the stitching was crap and the leather quality was poor at most shops and stands in Cozumel selling fake bags.

Most woman and probably even some men can tell you if one of those fake bags are good quality or not just by playing with it lol. My wife was instantly able to tell me that the stitching was crap and the leather quality was poor at most shops and stands in Cozumel selling fake bags.
Agreed, though with the "good fakes" it is hard to know what you should be paying.

There's a guy with a store very close to Rock N Java - about a half block south - that seems to have high quality stuff. Shoes, belts - but not sure about bags. We've never purchased from him, but he always says hello and has never harassed us as we've gone by and we've repeatedly said 'when we're in the market for something leather, let's go there'. Might be worth looking at, at least.

There's a guy with a store very close to Rock N Java - about a half block south - that seems to have high quality stuff. Shoes, belts - but not sure about bags. We've never purchased from him, but he always says hello and has never harassed us as we've gone by and we've repeatedly said 'when we're in the market for something leather, let's go there'. Might be worth looking at, at least.
I think that would be Veari's, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom