LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
I don't think you get to the point about this market.

Like you said, if there is $50 difference in the regulator price, I am sure that most customers will head to their LDS. But, in real world, the price difference is nothing like your example.

How about Adobo’s case below?

Are you still willing to pay $190 more to your LDS for one BCD? Maybe, you don’t mind $190 though. Many customers have a different WTP (Willingness To Pay) price.

I am also doing DM right now. Even after 10% discount from MSRP, the shop price is still more than my WTP. The instructors might get 5% commission from the student’s purchases. DM used to get nothing. I have talked with many instructors about this matter. Do you believe that they think it is a fair price? They are just keeping quite for their own interests.

How do I not get the point about the scuba market? I quoted a $50 difference, not $190. That is my whole point. A lot of people are turning away from the LDS shop no matter what the price difference. You only quote one of the highest price differential items that you are likely to find anyway. On the average, I find about a 10-20% price difference on items in favor of the Internet dealers. I also find Atmos 2 dive watches online for $370, and at my LDS for $290. So please dont just point out one of the highest margins and tell me I don't understand this market. If an online retailer affords me more than $50 in savings, I will more than likely steer towards it.

If it is just a matter of 10 to 20%, the LDS would win every time. However, what I am finding is that the difference in regs is 50% or more. The example I posted is actually one of the less extreme ones.

Honestly, I think I would be better off buying my stuff at scubatoys and driving to the LDS and giving them 10% for doing nothing. That way, I still get the reg for cheap and the LDS doesn't look at me like I am some kind of dead beat.

[font=&#48148]I am not sure how many gears you have bought so far and how many gears you have tried to buy.

Here are the recent examples of my local dive buddy except BCD that you claimed as the major item.

Wetsuit, LDS: $ 450 vs Internet: $ 250 = $200
Vest, LDS: $160 vs Internet: $120 = $40
Computer, LDS: $1600 vs Internet: $1200 = $400
Drysuit, LDS: $1800 vs Internet: $1300 = $500
Undergarment, LDS: $356 vs Internet: $250 = $106
Major brand regulator (SP, Apeks, or Atomic), LDS: $605 vs Internet: $425 = $170
Two steel tanks, LDS: $412 vs Internet: $ 300 = $224
Two AL tanks, LDS: $160 vs Internet: $ 130 = $60
Fin, LDS: $169 vs Internet: $ 110 = $59

Internet store is also LDS store in their region. So, all comes with the manufacture warranty. I don’t count the tax on LDS purchase. It is $1759 difference. Is it enough?
I hope you can get to the point this time. Or you might need to take my course, “HABIT” H oosiers A dvanced B uying in I ndiana T raining. It will give some sense about the equipment wheeling and dealing. :wink:

[/font]
stevetim:
How do I not get the point about the scuba market? I quoted a $50 difference, not $190. That is my whole point. A lot of people are turning away from the LDS shop no matter what the price difference. You only quote one of the highest price differential items that you are likely to find anyway. On the average, I find about a 10-20% price difference on items in favor of the Internet dealers. I also find Atmos 2 dive watches online for $370, and at my LDS for $290. So please dont just point out one of the highest margins and tell me I don't understand this market. If an online retailer affords me more than $50 in savings, I will more than likely steer towards it.

Scuba equipment sales is just like every other type of sales business. To stay competitive and and in business the LDS has to be willing to adapt to change. Before the internet, stores could charge based on their local market. If they were the only dive store in town (or in my case the region) they could charge whatever they wanted. Now with the growth of internet sales these stores must ask themselves one thing: "Will I change or go the way of the dinosaur?" This may not be pleasant or nice, but its the way the business world works. If Scubatoys.com (a local dive shop) can go internet and offer prices much lower than my LDS, then why can't or doesn't my LDS do something similar? They at least need to compete.

hoosier:
Here are the recent examples of my local dive buddy except BCD that you claimed as the major item.[/font]

Drysuit, LDS: $1800 vs Internet: $ 1300 = 500

Undergarment, LDS: $ 356 vs Internet: $250 = 106

Major brand regulator (SP, Apeks, or Atomic), LDS: $ 605 vs Internet: $ 425 = $170

Two steel tanks, LDS: $412 vs Internet: $ 300 = $ 224

Internet store is also LDS store in their region. So, all comes with the manufacture warranty. I don’t count the tax on LDS purchase. It is $1759 difference. Is it enough?
I hope you can get to the point this time.

[/color][/font]

So basically, that LDS wanted to make about $3000 profit. If he matched prices he would have made about $1100 profit. He probably could have negotiated a couple hundred more with some service discounts thrown in that the internet can't compete with. Holding the line he'll make $0. What is he thinking?

Yes, you are absolutely right. But, unfortunately, LDS used to be sick of algebra.....:wink:

awap:
So basically, that LDS wanted to make about $3000 profit. If he matched prices he would have made about $1100 profit. He probably could have negotiated a couple hundred more with some service discounts thrown in. Holding the line he'll make $0. What is he thinking?

hoosier:
[font=&#48148]I am not sure how many gears you have bought so far and how many gears you have tried to buy.

Here are the recent examples of my local dive buddy except BCD that you claimed as the major item.

Drysuit, LDS: $1800 vs Internet: $1300 = $500
Undergarment, LDS: $356 vs Internet: $250 = $106
Major brand regulator (SP, Apeks, or Atomic), LDS: $605 vs Internet: $425 = $170
Two steel tanks, LDS: $412 vs Internet: $ 300 = $224

I hope you can get to the point this time. Or you might need to take my course, “HABIT” H oosiers A dvanced B uying in I ndiana T raining. It will give some sense about the equipment wheeling and dealing. :wink:

[/font]
My LDS beats your internet price on the steel tanks. They are selling PST steel 80's for $169 and 100's for $269. Guess your internet site is screwing you too.
C

Well, I spent an hour with the owner of our LDS today. I have a seam leak problem on my drysuit. The owner was going to drive the suit down personally to the repair guy and WAIT while it was fixed and get it back to me tomorrow, although we eventually decided for a number of reasons not to do it that way. This is a warranty fix and makes him no money at all. What internet shop would do that?

Not to mention that the shop ordered my can light and it's already here, even though I told them that I could not pay for it until the middle of the month. This way, the day I have the money, I have the light . . . and they are out the funds until I pay them. What internet dealer would do that?

Sorry, I really like my LDS, even if I might pay a little more for some items.

Sorry. I don't think so unless your LDS can give E8-130cf at the lower price than $300.:wink: Moreover, you siad, PST steel 80 is not in stock except 100', didn't you?

Vtdiver2:
My LDS beats your internet price on the steel tanks. They are selling PST steel 80's for $169 and 100's for $269. Guess your internet site is screwing you too. C

TSandM:
Well, I spent an hour with the owner of our LDS today. I have a seam leak problem on my drysuit. The owner was going to drive the suit down personally to the repair guy and WAIT while it was fixed and get it back to me tomorrow, although we eventually decided for a number of reasons not to do it that way. This is a warranty fix and makes him no money at all. What internet shop would do that?

Like I said, many internet shops are also the authorized dealer. They aren’t aliens.

That’s, they provide the same manufacture warranty like you got. I sent my suit to the manufacture and get it back with the free shipping. So, “yes” they can do that.

TSandM:
Not to mention that the shop ordered my can light and it's already here, even though I told them that I could not pay for it until the middle of the month. This way, the day I have the money, I have the light . . . and they are out the funds until I pay them. What internet dealer would do that?
TSandM:
Sorry, I really like my LDS, even if I might pay a little more for some items.

No, any internet dealers can’t do that without the money up front. But, you might not need to wait by the middle of month to pay it because the price might be way cheaper than your shop.

Sure, I respect your decision. But, $1759 is not “a little more money” for some people, except you. My 2 psi.. :)

I would rather deal with a local dive shop any day. Too bad for me it's a 40 minute drive to my LDS and when i get there i'll be followed arround the store like I'm going to steal something. then if I have any questions for the staff I'd better be ready to get treated like an incompetent moron. ask for a gear recommendation at my lds and i guarantee they will recommend the most expensive piece they sell without telling you how bad it sucks. all that and high prices at the register. I know this is not true of all LDS's because I have dealt with others that have treated me great. (ex: Down Under dive shop Gulf Shores, AL. Too bad they are 4 hours away.) all I am saying is if you have a good LDS, good for you. But not all of us do and that is why there is the internet. [IMHO]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom