LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an LDS, I try hard to give the customer the best service and products possible. Sometimes we make mistakes. We are real divers in a real diveshop. You can be assured that the products you receive from an LDS came directly from the manufacturers supply chain. Not a gray market pipeline where who knows what it has been through and who has handled it. My prices are competitve and the products are all High Quality. All of us here not only sell it we dive it. Last week were were Exploring a wreck on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean in Wreck Valley. So if you are going to buy online, "your going to buy online". But know this, the boys at leisure pro don't dive and don't know who "Boyle" is, nevermind "Boyles Law". If you are comfortable with that, and don't care whether your LDS can pay their rent,then go for it. Besides we don't want you as students nor as customers. Call LP with your questions. We're doing fine without you. Can you say the same?

Fellow LDS owners, remember this; "No one can take our customers, We can only lose them by failing to meet their needs"

Island Dog:
As I read through this thread I also noted that many of the LDS supporters had 100's of dives under their belts and many of the IDS supporters had less than a 100.

Island Dog

Excuse me, instructor... I can't buy that kind of ego statement.

How often do you change your car? I know many friends of mine change their car every four years. So, in your perspective, they are the new driver?
It is totally depending on diver's preference.

PLEASE DON'T FORGET: Many IDS are also LDS. Even, my evil LDS has an internet site to sell their gear. So, in your context, my LDS is IDS or LDS?

Again, you don't see the market change at all. You might contend you did. I don't think so. The market isn't only in your resort place, but also in this board. The more you are active in this board, the better you can see where and how market is going. Fortunately, it doesn't require your dive log to see the market except business 101 class.

Phil@1877SCUBAUSA.COM:
If you are comfortable with that, and don't care whether your LDS can pay their rent,then go for it. Besides we don't want you as students nor as customers. Call LP with your questions. We're doing fine without you. Can you say the same?

Fellow LDS owners, remember this; "No one can take our customers, We can only lose them by failing to meet their needs"

Phil

I just don't understand. How do you reconcile the second sentence quoted above with your final statement.

Are you saying that if your customer doesn't need everything you have to offer that you are not interested in them?

Do you believe that your customers are more dependent on you and your LDS than you are on them?

Nevermind Phil. After visiting your web site, I understand now. You don't really object to internet sales. You, in fact, have incorperated them into your LDS as many successful shops have done. Apparently your objection is targeted at Leisurepro rather than internet in general. But it does seem to me that LDSs need to accept LP as an established part of scuba retail and deal with it.

Island Dog:
As I read through this thread I also noted that many of the LDS supporters had 100's of dives under their belts and many of the IDS supporters had less than a 100.

These are just observations of a dive professional that does not benefit one way or the other.

Island Dog

Interesting observation. Up to the point of your post in this thread, I count 21 participants with over 100 dives. Of those, I saw 8 that were pro LDS, 11 that were pro internet, and 2 neutral. Of the 8 that were pro LDS, 6 claim to be affilliated with an LDS.

Do you think we should compare our data more closely?

awap:
Interesting observation. Up to the point of your post in this thread, I count 21 participants with over 100 dives. Of those, I saw 8 that were pro LDS, 11 that were pro internet, and 2 neutral. Of the 8 that were pro LDS, 6 claim to be affilliated with an LDS.

Do you think we should compare our data more closely?

Additionally, this topic is really not specific to scuba diving. These exact same discussions are applicable whether you are talking about scuba equipment, stereo equipment or even cars.

designbysue:
I have only scanned this tread to get the idea of the thoughts here. For those of you who shop on the internet, just keep in mind that you are not seeing the person/people you are dealing with and have no idea if they have any experience diving or using any of the equipment they are selling. I happened to be in NYC and stopped in to the LeisurePro shop. Believe me, the men behind the counter have never had on a neoprene suit in their lives (they are "men of faith", and I'm quite sure they do not scuba dive - though I do not want to get into a discussion on racism here as I am not racist, just describing the owners of LeisurePro). I have not tried to call them for tech support (I don't know if they offer it) so I am not talking from experince with them in that area, but I am sure if they are giving advise, it is not from their experience.

I shop my LDS(s) exclusively. I also own my own business and depend on people who value service and knowledge - so I treat my scuba purchases the same way. My shop allowed me to try the equipment first and educated me on how to use it. I know if I have any issue with anything I bought, I can take it back and they will, with no hassle, fix or replace it. I also know it is not gray market.

I like this post. I think small business people can appreciate the struggles that scuba shop owners may have with internet dealers (this does not include legit service oriented shops who also have internet fronts), the biggest example of which is run by people who are not truely in the hobby.

Someone once said, the biggest tippers are waitresses, bartenders and those who rely on tips for a living. I suspect small business owners/managers have a good understanding of what's as stake if the Local Dive Shops go under as the result of big internet - catalog only competition.

hoosier:
Excuse me, instructor... I can't buy that kind of ego statement.

How often do you change your car? I know many friends of mine change their car every four years. So, in your perspective, they are the new driver?
It is totally depending on diver's preference.

PLEASE DON'T FORGET: Many IDS are also LDS. Even, my evil LDS has an internet site to sell their gear. So, in your context, my LDS is IDS or LDS?

Again, you don't see the market change at all. You might contend you did. I don't think so. The market isn't only in your resort place, but also in this board. The more you are active in this board, the better you can see where and how market is going. Fortunately, it doesn't require your dive log to see the market except business 101 class.

In 7 years of working on dive boats, Island Dog's observation rings more or less true for me. Internet sales are growing these days so we'll see if those observations hold true in the coming years. In the last month I've had several students who picked up their masks, fins and snorkels online (some of which really didn't fit properly) and complain about the prices locally, while my experienced certified customers are looking for specific equipment and specific info and are quite pleased by what's available here. Granted the competition here is higher than many places so some operators may be more on their toes than in other areas. By the way, I do not sell gear either, nor earn commissions off gear sales, I just steer them to the three or so local stores who have either the best selection or deals and let them make their own choices.

True, there are many LDS with an internet presence, yet how many of these are being used as examples when it comes to price comparisons. I've checked the online pirces at scubatoys and the guys in Florida (whose name escapes me at the moment) and many/most LDS could compete with those prices on those exact items.

I don't quite get how your changing cars reference compares to a specific number of dives (Island Diver used a baseline of 100). He didn't say "change gear often", he said "100 dives", not "every 100 dives". Personally, I only know very few diver friends who buy online. One has thousands of dives, and he will go online to save 7 bucks on an 160 buck purchase, I've seen him do it and it bit him in the arse when the computer died 7 months later. The rest of my immediate dive buddies, all with hundreds to thousands of dives, buy retail, but usually take the time to ask for a deal and usually get it.

I don't think Island Dog was all that far off in his observations. I notice on your personal profile that you are a DM candidate, perhaps as you continue on with diving, if you ever get into a position to be familiar with the business end you may see things differently. It would be curious to see exactly how many dives some of the most vocal on both sides actually have. Pushing 2000 myself and have never picked up scuba gear online. I have picked up photographey gear online because of complete unavailability locally.

later,

First I need to say, I bought my recent gear from an LDS. On some gear I got the same price as I could have gotten on the web. On accessories, to me oddly I paid a little more. So, why did I buy local?

I need an LDS for service of gear.

I like spending money in a local market because I sell my services in a local market.

I have questions about gear that is hard to get a response to over the net.

I dive locally, so I need information and opportunities in a local area.

I spent more when I decided to go for leather seats in my car than the difference in costs.

Will I buy from an internet source? Yes. I plan to go to Carrollton Texas and see the guys from Scuba Toys in person. (by the way, if I drive to Carrollton, is that a purchase from an LDS or an internet purchase?)

Stan

friscuba:
I like this post. I think small business people can appreciate the struggles that scuba shop owners may have with internet dealers (this does not include legit service oriented shops who also have internet fronts), the biggest example of which is run by people who are not truely in the hobby.

Steve

This is a rather interesting twist on the subject. I clearly have not been thinking of it this way. I was thinking that all internet scuba sale were in the internet camp and only in-store LDS sales were in the LDS camp.

So maybe we should talk more about what is and what is not an internet dealer that is causing scuba shop owners to struggle. It's pretty clear where you put LeisurePro in this. But I guess you are putting Scubatoys in the LDS camp rather than the internet camp. This surprises me. My impression is that Scubatoys is the biggest and most effective competitor LeisurePro has to contend with. That would make them a fairly effective competitor for most LDSs with customers willing to shop the internet. How about the e-bay sellers which range from LDSs with up front linking to their e-bay store like Phil from NJ; LDSs with concealed linkings to e-bay stores; large e-bay sellers with no LDS affiliation; and divers just selling off some excess gear. Then there are the overseas LDSs with only an internet business in the US like Diveinn.

It seems to me that what little dominance LP may still exercise is based primarily on their wide variety of offerings (a one stop shop). Much of there price advantage has been neutralized by larger LDSs that are advertising price matching. The big price advantage they had with selected brands like Scubapro due to dealer price constraints seems to have been largely neutralized by SP MSRP reductions a few years ago and some apparently effective supply interdiction.

But back to the question. What difference does it make to the average LDS whether its student buys his gear from Leisurepro or from Scubatoys (a legit service oriented shop who also has an internet front)? The loss to the shop is the same. BTW, dependent on the items and membership on this board, Scubatoys is 10% cheaper than LeisurePro.

awap:
Steve

This is a rather interesting twist on the subject. I clearly have not been thinking of it this way. I was thinking that all internet scuba sale were in the internet camp and only in-store LDS sales were in the LDS camp.

So maybe we should talk more about what is and what is not an internet dealer that is causing scuba shop owners to struggle. It's pretty clear where you put LeisurePro in this. But I guess you are putting Scubatoys in the LDS camp rather than the internet camp. This surprises me. My impression is that Scubatoys is the biggest and most effective competitor LeisurePro has to contend with. That would make them a fairly effective competitor for most LDSs with customers willing to shop the internet. How about the e-bay sellers which range from LDSs with up front linking to their e-bay store like Phil from NJ; LDSs with concealed linkings to e-bay stores; large e-bay sellers with no LDS affiliation; and divers just selling off some excess gear. Then there are the overseas LDSs with only an internet business in the US like Diveinn.

It seems to me that what little dominance LP may still exercise is based primarily on their wide variety of offerings (a one stop shop). Much of there price advantage has been neutralized by larger LDSs that are advertising price matching. The big price advantage they had with selected brands like Scubapro due to dealer price constraints seems to have been largely neutralized by SP MSRP reductions a few years ago and some apparently effective supply interdiction.

But back to the question. What difference does it make to the average LDS whether its student buys his gear from Leisurepro or from Scubatoys (a legit service oriented shop who also has an internet front)? The loss to the shop is the same. BTW, dependent on the items and membership on this board, Scubatoys is 10% cheaper than LeisurePro.

Here's my take on ScubaToys vs. LeisurePro vs. DiversDirect. When I go to LeisurePro, I'm seeing brand name equipment that does not allow their dealers to sell online, at wholesale or near wholesale prices. There is no way any LDS can directly compete with this. When I go to ScubaToys and DiversDirect, I'm not seeing Aqualung, Seaquest or ScubaPro BCDs and reg sets in their offerings, they are honoring their dealership agreements, assuming they do sell any of those lines inhouse since the logos are on the shop info page. Other legitimate dealers of these products can still compete in those lines with ScubaToys and DiversDirect.

I used to own a pet store/aquarium shop 10-20 years back when big catalog sales in specialty fields were somewhat in their infancy. They were "competition", but nothing I personally worried about. In general, the catalog places would lowball the high ticket items, sometimes at or near my cost and then the medium ticket and lower ticket items were easily matched. I'd do the best I could for the few people who used catalogs and generally got the sale because I knew what I was talking about and could explain the equipment I carried. Now that the internet is out there the competition is much, much stiffer I suspect.

Leisure Pro does pretty much the same thing. If you scrutinize pricing on like items, say a Zeagle BCD, you'll find Leisure Pro a hundred or two lower than Scubatoys or Diversdirect (Example Zeagle ranger prices from thier websites today - LP $449 ST $608 DD $704). This says to me that base wholesale price on a Zeagle Ranger is probably in the 400-410 range (I could be wrong, I've never seen a Zeagle price list, but I'm familiar with markups).

The two stores I consider to be true retailers with an online presence choose to do a 50-70 percent markup on those items, or do enough volume to get discounts to where they can get close to a full margin on their items. They are playing by the exact same rules that any retailer could potentially play by, or at least match.

Leisure Pro, on the other hand, sells at a low enough price that it is at or near enough to wholesale that no ordinary store could afford to stock the product at that price and stay in business. It also indicates that the merchandise was obtained by non traditional means not available to the average mom and pop shop, nor allowed by many suppliers.

In the overall picture of the industry, I doubt E-bay individuals are all that big of a threat to the Local Shops. I don't really know enough about Ebay sellers to comment, but I do know for a fact that LP causes a bunch of headaches for legitimate retailers. Taking a look back to the thread, when you look at people griping the loudest about being ripped off by their LDS and actually listing prices, guess where the vast majority of the prices listed came from - LP.

That's my biggest gripe, when one business (which isn't even a full service business) can obtain product through non-traditional means not available to legitimate dealers and sell at or near the legitimate dealers' cost and gain such a large share that it affects the ability of Local Shops to stay in business... that's very unfortunate.

In the end, the consumer has to do what's best for themselves, but they should be aware that most LDS are not ripoff artists, just typical businesses attempting to survive and provide services to their customers. Should LDSs fail in great numbers, that's bad for the hobby as a whole. Selection, service, training and growth of the hobby will suffer.

later,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom