LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it seems to me everyone who is against the online stores has a decent lds in their area. what if you didnt? would you drive an hour or more(with these gas prices) to support a "local" dive shop, and rebel against the evil empire of online stores? I think online stores are needed by some divers who live in areas that aren't supported dive retail stores. I'm not going to move so i can shop from a lds. maybe a store owner in an area overpopulated by dive shops already should move near me and the many other divers who live in my area. i would certainly rather deal with a good lds than buy online. but alas it can not be. my lds sucks.

There is no way I am going to read 5 pages of replies to this post, but here is what I do.

I find whatever product I am lookig to buy online, and I give my shop the oppertunity to match the price. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Either way I give them the opportunity. Since when I am looking to save some money, I really would rather deal with the shop AND save the money.

Seems to work for me anyway.

CREEVES515:
it seems to me everyone who is against the online stores has a decent lds in their area. what if you didnt? would you drive an hour or more(with these gas prices) to support a "local" dive shop, and rebel against the evil empire of online stores? I think online stores are needed by some divers who live in areas that aren't supported dive retail stores. I'm not going to move so i can shop from a lds. maybe a store owner in an area overpopulated by dive shops already should move near me and the many other divers who live in my area. i would certainly rather deal with a good lds than buy online. but alas it can not be. my lds sucks.

Online shops do have a place in the diving world, servicing those who don't have a LDS that can provide service, selection and information is a good example. Affording people the opportunity to get something they cannot pick up locally is another great reason for online stores. In cases where your local store really does suck, having an online alternative is great.

Where I see troubles is in the attitudes by some on this board that their LDS is trying to rip them off just because they can't afford to carry merchandise at the same price. There are a ton of factors involved in the pricing differences between the typical LDS and the typical big online dealer, and for the typical LDS, trying to match online prices across the board would be a death sentance.

later,

I shop both the internet and the LDS, but give my LDS the first crack at getting my $$$ if the deal is right. Sure I would love to help and do my part in keeping my LDS in business so they don't end up having to raise the price of air fills to help make their bottom line in business. So to those people that are just using the LDS for air fills, give that a thought. And to the die-hard "I only buy from the LDS, screw you internet shoppers" types, I will be glad to PM you my address so you can subsidize my new habit while I only shop at the LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom