LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started out buying a lot of stuff online, then I realized that my LDS is a great place to meet people, both employees and other divers. They usually come pretty darn close to the prices online, and I've sometimes had to exchange things (like a drysuit 3 times!), to which they are very understanding and they pay shipping. Its worth it to support a place like this and keep it in business. Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot of stuff online, but dive gear is one of those things that having a local outlet really provides a lot of intangibles in addition to just saving a few bucks.

I recently purchased my regulator, octopus, computer and BC from LeisurePro.com There salemans was very helpful and the delivery was prompt.

Hi Howdy Call the manufacturer before you buy online. I won't mention any name of online sellers but some are crooks. Just like in any industry you have honest people and some who don't shoot straight. Call the manufacturer before you buy online. Your local dive shop is your best bet "most" of the time to get honest answers and service. If your LDS doesn't offer that sorry then you'll have to find a new one or...go online.Good luck do your research and have a direction with your diving...before you buy. tell the sales person what kind of diving you want to do.
bronce32:
First let me say that I believe in supporting my LDS, however there are an increasing number of internet scuba dealers popping up. They offer warranties and very good prices. Has anyone had any experiences with internet scuba dealers good or bad?

Thanks

bronce32:
First let me say that I believe in supporting my LDS, however there are an increasing number of internet scuba dealers popping up. They offer warranties and very good prices. Has anyone had any experiences with internet scuba dealers good or bad?

Thanks

I have just started diving and have shopped til I dropped looking for good deals on life support gear. I found a great shop that is an authorised dealer. There web site is www.myscubashop.com The store is called Poseidon Adventure. They have a great customer service based shop. The owner called me and answered all of my questions, suggested somethings, asembled all of my gear, set up my ATOM, filled out the warrenty card with all of the needed numbers, then kept in touch to see if I was happy. All of my gear carrys the Manufactures warranty and they will service all of it if I want to send it to them yearly or I can chose a LDS. I hope that others will have the same expierence.

Hunter:
My advise, get to know your local dive shop personell. Go dive with them. If there is something that you are shopping for, tell them what you have found and see what they can do for you. You might be surprised!

That's NOT mandatory. Don't forget that you are the customer who brings the money to them. You don't need to be a friend. Have you ever seen any industries that the customer tries to be nice to the service providers from the begining point? I hope not, specially in the service industry....

papps953:
I recently purchased my regulator, octopus, computer and BC from LeisurePro.com There salemans was very helpful and the delivery was prompt.

Remember P, salespeople are always very helpful when they're selling something. When you have a problem with your merchandise will determine how really helpful they are. Free shipping, loaner equipment, quick turnaround, guaranteed delivery? Or better yet, take your new primary back to your lds and see how happy they'll be to take care of a warranty issue for you.

ha...haha...hahaha...hahahahahahahaha!!! :D

(no salespersonnel were injured in the writing of this response)

LDS can have every nickel of my scuba money. All they have to do is earn it. And when I say earn it, what I mean is I expect them to educate me on why their product is compelling vs. another product. After that, I expect them to be competitively priced. Not competitively priced against LP (who is not an authorized dealer for most of the equipment they sell) but competitively priced against scubatoys. Listen, Larry and Joe are happy to educate anybody who calls on the phone. Larry has spent over an hour talking to me about regs and BCDs. I never got any b.s. about taking up his time and not buying from him. He told me about his products, he gave me a decent price and he earned my business.

To give an example of how silly some of the business practices are, check out these price comparisons between scubatoys and one of the LDS in the area:

Oceanic zeta cdx5
LDS price: $549
Scubatoys: $359

I mean, come on... $190 more? Would I pay $50 more for the same reg, sure. But $190 leads me to believe that scubatoys is just plain smarter in managing their expenses and buying agreements.

People can talk all the live long day about supporting local business but in the end, the local business needs to get it's act together to be competitive. Relying on savy consumers to save them from their inability to be competitive doesn't work in any other industry. It's foolish to expect that things will be different in the scuba industry.

Internet or mail order out of Skin Diver magazine ( old time internet ) is the same. Those who care only about price will find a venue to purchase equipment. Wal Mart, shipping of jobs overseas, product made in China etc etc. These are just like Internet companies,price rules. There is nothing wrong with that.I've been a shop owner for 25 years and make a good living. The majority of my customers purchase equipment from our store. I've change with the times. All I ask is give me a shot at the sale.

I can't be a dealer with every company out there so I choose who I want to do businees with and sometimes they come to me. Right now there is a line I would like to handle but, the company is happy with there local choice. Some customer's don't understand this. Most customers don't understand that alot of the product is made by 1 company and they put different names on it.

I want to thank everyone who has spent a single dollar in my store the past 25 years.

I would be very happy to support my LDS, if their prices were more competitive. I paid $350 for my Oceanic Chute 3; the LDS charges MSRP: $600. The only exception to this is, if you join the local dive club, or are taking a class from them They'll knock off 10%. $540 compared to $350 still doesn't make it. Once a year they offer a sale on their products.

At one time they offered extras in the form of service. Buy a regulator from them and they gave you free lifetime service and repairs. A reason to buy? Yes. A little too big of an offering? Yes. Maybe just offer free service for a length of time and drop the free repairs. At one time if you drove over your reg in the parking lot they would fix it for free.

Bill

It means you paid your service price in advance.... right?

I rather like to pay the service charge when I want or where I want if it comes with the manufacture warranty. So, I can expected what I paid for at the site at that time. Just my 2 psi though.

papps953:
I would be very happy to support my LDS, if their prices were more competitive. I paid $350 for my Oceanic Chute 3; the LDS charges MSRP: $600. The only exception to this is, if you join the local dive club, or are taking a class from them They'll knock off 10%. $540 compared to $350 still doesn't make it. Once a year they offer a sale on their products.

At one time they offered extras in the form of service. Buy a regulator from them and they gave you free lifetime service and repairs. A reason to buy? Yes. A little too big of an offering? Yes. Maybe just offer free service for a length of time and drop the free repairs. At one time if you drove over your reg in the parking lot they would fix it for free.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom