LDS or Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

narcT:
For the price of 2 ScubaPro regulators at the LDS I can do my own refills. FTL:

http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_155_scuba_1_gear_030405_pn_MAX-AIR-MAX-AIR-35

Pretty high end regulators there to retail at $1400 bucks a pop. Did you notice that the compressor requires a filter that runs 70 bucks and is good for 30 fills? I don't think that many people on this board can think along the lines of three grand (remember shipping) + over two bucks a fill to get their air. You may have have made a good argument for keeping the LDS in business.

Are you buying the Atomic titaniums? And why do you need two? And how much gas at 3.06.9 a gallon does that thing use?

narcT:
For the price of 2 ScubaPro regulators at the LDS I can do my own refills. FTL:

http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_155_scuba_1_gear_030405_pn_MAX-AIR-MAX-AIR-35
Compressor 2800.00
Shipping 240.00

Divided by 4.00 per fill that I pay now=760 fills to break even.

But wait! To do 760 fills, you'd need 250 filters at 70.00 each = 1750.00 in filters, or about another 430 fills, for a total of about 1200 fills to break even, or something like that.

How long would it take you to make 1200 dives?

Total cost with filters, about 4800.00. If that's what your LDS charges for 2 SP regs, it's no wonder you perfer not to use them. :wink:

Rick, you didn't add in electricity, or fuel costs. :wink: And shipping on those extra filters. And how much wear and tear would you incur on that amount of fills? And how much is your time worth?

That's a minimum of 400 hours of fill time. That's a full time job for 2 1/2 months. Man, I wonder if that job comes with benefits?

PhotoTJ:
Rick, you didn't add in electricity, or fuel costs. :wink: And shipping on those extra filters. And how much wear and tear would you incur on that amount of fills? And how much is your time worth?

Not to mention oil at 18 bucks a quart, and more importantly - - - He'd have still had to pay the mailorder price for those darned regs, so he'd likely not saved even 50% - he'd have had to purchase at least 4-5 sets of those expensive regulators at mailorder price to save enough to pay for the initial expense of the compressor.

This is something that always puzzles me, why is that shoppers place no value on thier own time? I've worked in retail, and have seen people buy a shirt, return it the next day, do this, no kidding, 5 days straight, before they find the shirt they keep. We had dressing rooms, but they never tried one of them on. I've also had customers come in to the dive shop, announce they've spent two days at every dive shop in LA, and can we get any lower on a reg? They have quotes, and I called to confirm prices, we sold it for the same as their lowest bid, and they left. The differance between high and low? $25. Now, while I love having the business, why would you spend that much time and gas over 25? I appreciate the customer, but I question their logic. I'll bet they make more than 25$ in two days. Hey, by all means research, but don't research yourself to the point where you de-value your time.

This is a great post. I think I fall into a category many others do - I support my LDS when I can - especially for things that I need to try on. (We bought our WetSuits there and custom dry suits). I also take all my specialty classes through the LDS, get airfills there, and go on trips they sponsor. I do shop over the Internet however - Scuba.Com mostly (can't say enough for this shop and their prices), and I've used Dive Rite Express for tanks. I'm very honest with my LDS. If I'm consideringing a big purchase I tell them what I can get it for from Scuba.com. If they can come close to the price (and they have about 50% of the time), I buy through the LDS even if it might be a little more expensive. If they can't, they tell me and I buy online. I always buy brands my LDS can service. I like the human touch - even though I am a big Internet shopper.

I believe in supporting my LDS but have found most have limited business hours or open at the owner's convenience. Granted I cannot get refills via the Internet but I've found Leisure Pro to be not only superior with product mix but offer good advice and stand behind their return policy. Many LDS need to observe and learn from such an operation.

One more vote for both...

I like my LDS, but I got reg and BC from Scuba.com and paid roughly HALF what LDS wanted. Scuba.com is always an immense pleasure to deal with, and you can always get an instructor on the phone -- a benefit I have used more than once!

m

bronce32:
First let me say that I believe in supporting my LDS, however there are an increasing number of internet scuba dealers popping up. They offer warranties and very good prices. Has anyone had any experiences with internet scuba dealers good or bad?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom