Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A diver posted on another forum and had just gotten off the phone with Christi. Not alot of info, but here's the link:
http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=4114

We're due to fly in tomorrow, too,Matt....we'll keep you posted on whatever we hear.

Meg and Chuck

mattboy:
On the tube I heard "no reports of major damage in the area" from Cancun. Not sure if that included Cozumel, but I would cautiously say it looks hopeful, at least for major catastrophic structural damage and injuries.

This is the only current article I found quickly this morning:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000086&sid=aeZ4D1L.swFg&refer=latin_america

I'm gonna keep looking; maybe there's something from Mexico City posted.

Another Dive Op has been in touch with my travel agent and the reports are optimistic. No major injuries or deaths from the storm. Lots of debris and trees down, but phones are working. Power is still out while they look for downed wires, but folks are out in their cars and clean up has begun....

Meg and Chuck :)

mattboy:
On the tube I heard "no reports of major damage in the area" from Cancun. Not sure if that included Cozumel, but I would cautiously say it looks hopeful, at least for major catastrophic structural damage and injuries.

This is the only current article I found quickly this morning:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000086&sid=aeZ4D1L.swFg&refer=latin_america

I'm gonna keep looking; maybe there's something from Mexico City posted.

Hi Gang!!!!
Long story but.... I am in Miami, but have spoken with Armando (my hubbie) throuout the entire storm (even at 2AM in the height of the storm!!). He is out & driving around right now & taking pictures.
LOTS of tree damage - both trees down & others still standing but pretty naked!
We live in Corpus Cristi (Behind Chedraui) We have a 2 story home, we have NO storm shutters and NO plywood on the windows (I know - you all can lecture us later!!!!) WE DID NOT LOOSE A SINGLE WINDOW!!!! In our neighborhood, tree damage & some neighbors got some water in thier house - but not even as bad as what happened last June in the big rainstorm.
Down at our shop (La Ceiba Hotel - so south) there were some fences, trees and actually a cement wall went down. The shop is fine!!!!! YEAH!!!!!
Then Armando went all the way up north (my best friend from Denver has a house up there RIGHT on the water!) It was fine - she lost the back garden & a little palapa 0 but the storm surge did not even go in the house!!!!! On the way there, part of the fence around the military base was down, and almost all of the palm trees in the center median are down, BUT.....Guys - it looks SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than what it could (and rightfully should have) been!!!
I am sure the wood shacks and things that were not secured (boats etc....) did not fair well as the north eye wall did make a direct hit on the island.
Currently no power (cut off last night around 11) but land phone lines and cell phones are working! Actually this is the biggest shock - as half the times the phones don't work when the weather is good! Go figure!
I will keep everyone posted as I get news - THANK YOU all for the prayers for everyone & the entire island - it is clearly evident that they worked!!!!!!!!!

I'm heading down on Friday, staying at Caribe Blu (hopefully it's still there and fully operational). Please keep posting any information you can find about the island and how it's places and people survived Emily! I'm willing to bring whatever I can to help out (food/clothing/etc.).

Maxwell

humanphibian:
GREAT NEWS Holly. I'm glad that you guys made it through without damage. With what news has made it out so far, it has been looking pretty favorable. I hope that everyone else had good fortune as well...... thanks for the report.

Glade your OK. You have to wonder at nature.
Hear in Fl we got one of those (small by contrast) spin off cells lots of thunder, lightning, rain and lost power for 21/2 hours.

GPdiver:
I have been on the road far the past 21 hours unable to connect with my sprint phone
Anyone been able to make any type of phone contact in the past 6 hours?
Land & cell phones seem to be working well. Have spoken to my husband in Cozumel every 30 minutes (that bill is going to be a doozie!!!)
Hope this helps.

Just a quick note to tell you we are thinking about you and the gang (including the pups and SHAMU) . We are waiting until your next update and pray you all are kept safe. Mike and Sue Behm :scubadive

Still praying for you here in Houston. I heard a resort got hit hard, but I can't seem to find out which one it is. Does anyone know?

I have 10 minutes of free International calling every month. I'm going to try to call Cozumel later today.

Thanks for the update, Holly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom