Large Scuba Knife with Hand Guard (Knuckle be Nice!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not think the OP understands anything about sharks, here people who have been diving and lived to tell you that they were not eaten by the "toothy one" and you don't believe them. You have been watching to much Shark Week or Jaws or something. Sharks do not behave as you postulate. I am all for a big knife but please don't use it to molest the sealife.

N

MSilvia:
Is your plan really to stab a shark rather than give up a fish you caught?

If I'd see a large aggressive shark - you bet I will gladly give him all my fish. That is - IF I'd see him first.

Since this is not always the case. Say he come behind me and gulp my fish plus accidentally gulp one of my legs.

"I want to have available at my disposal a good size sharp edge and/or preferably a powerhead. With such device if used properly during an accidental attack. It can speed up the release of me and avoid further damage to me if I am not already dead."

To end this off topic discussion.

Some of you will never understand nor want to understand. You are so experienced and so comfortable with the water. It is not until you yourself or someone you love get accidentally hurts will reality sets in.

I want to be prepared and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are not here to give me advice on a suitable knife. Please keep your shark opinion to yourself.

What you don't seem to get is that your not going to do much damage to a shark with a knife, a powerhead maybe or a Sharkdart. Maybe if it is such a worry, don't spearfish. It is not all that sporting with scuba anyways. Not meaning to pick on you but really now, a knife agaisnt a bull shark--holy cow---it is simply not enough, I suppose if you had the magical Excalibur.

N

UaVaj:
To end this off topic discussion.

Some of you will never understand nor want to understand. You are so experienced and so comfortable with the water. It is not until you yourself or someone you love get accidentally hurts will reality sets in.

I want to be prepared and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are not here to give me advice on a suitable knife. Please keep your shark opinion to yourself.

One thing we used to do is create a deterrent stick. It could be as simple as a cut-off broom handle with nails embedded at the end of the shaft. There was also a product made in the early 70's which was the equivalent and made of aluminum.

In retrospect, when I have swum around Makos and such I tend to just get out of the water when I feel uncomfortable because they are so darn quick that anything short of a cage, mesh suit or electric zapper isn't going to stop them from bugging me...not that they ever have.

Cheers,

X

I saw something that claimed a Mako could do 60 MPH for an instant. I think that sounds a bit far fetched but they do go fast don't they!

N

I carry my trusty swiss army knife. I use the bottle opener to open the corona I keep in my BC pocket. No reason I can't enjoy a cold one while I'm waiting for the boat to pick me up. :wink:

RoatanMan:
Can we talk about the underwater Glock, now?

You'd be better off with a revolver, instead of a pistol.
At least if you want the chance of a second shot :)

Blox:
You'd be better off with a revolver, instead of a pistol.
At least if you want the chance of a second shot :)
Not if you're talking about a Glock 17 with marine caps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom