Lake Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard that there are some other interesting dive spots that are not "on the map" or well known but to a few divers. Unfortunately many are beyond the range of recreational divers (such as a submerged barn and old stone wall).

Some of the more interesting ones I heard from the owner of the Dive Texas store that is located next to the Boat House restaurant (hint: very good post dive grub! Especially the catfish toes!) at 622 and FM 2222.

I also met an instructor who was teaching some o/w classes who knows of some good areas, but you need a boat to get to them.

So, ask at the dive shops. I'm sure there are many who know of good spots that are within your current "reach".

--Mike

Seem to dive most of the time at Windy Point. I have made a couple of dives at Mansfield, and want to make some more.. There is a lot to see at that location, and the Park Ranger in charge is a PADI instructor, who is gradually improving things all the time.
My favorite dive is Starns Island. Need a boat to get to it, but its a fun dive. Circle the island, but remember if you arent careful when you drop off into the river channel, you can miss the upslope for the next turn. :) Up the river without a paddle, you might say.

Check with the local dive shops - the one on 2222 just east of 620 schedules boat trips, usually two tank deals. Ask to go to the Oasis, its also a great dive.

There are others, and there are a few parks that I would like to test out - if you need a bud. Let me know.

Dave

Originally posted by SueJ
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to camp and dive at Lake Travis?
My, my, my... that question does bring back some fond memories... When I was at UT in '66-'68, we used to camp across the inlet from Lakeway. Had a semi-permanent campsite there, with a great BBQ pit and a fairly sheltered skinny-dippin' area. The water was pretty clear in those days, and we swam and snorkeled and fished there, and drank a beer or three... The last time I was there (circa '90) our old campsite had a multi-gozillion dollar subdivision on it and a dock where we used to swim. We put the boat in at Lakeway (that's one long, steep ramp!) and went down to an Island down toward the dam to dive (probably Starns mentioned in the previous post). Very nice, but I did lament the loss of our old campground...
Another place we used to camp was near the mouth of a creek that came into the lake about halfway between Lakeway and the dam - but I'll bet that's covered up with subdivision now too. It was a beautiful place to hike and camp and fish and fellowship and snuggle up with your sweetie and swap lies around the campfire...
Rick

Thanks everyone for all the interesting input! I think we will make our way to Mansfield Dam and see what happens.

SueJ,
The other folks from Austin have steered you well - but I'll add a little extra to it.

In my opinion - the camping is a little more posh at the private park at Windy Point [I still don't remember their names $%^&] - If you're a light duty camper - you may want to look that way.

Depth: Lake Austin sits real close to 500 Ft above Sea level - so Rons comment sounds really accurate [ I wouldn't argue anyway as he's one of those knowledgeable instructor types!] - I've not been below 120 myself.

Current: No way - If it's flooding you wouldn't want to be there anyway! - BUT - I've been at Mansfield a couple times when they had the Hydro-power generators going - WoW - the low frequency thrum was intense.

Rick: Memories of times past - It's pretty much mult-zillion $ homes all the way around!

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the great replies...just got back from Mansfield Dam.
It was an interesting weekend. Since this was our first dive at Mansfield Dam AND we were testing out new equipment (regulators and computers), we decided to play it safe and only go to 60'. We did (2) 20 min dives which was enough seeing the water temp was only 55. We were the only one's camping but ran into a few other divers - not many though.
We'll definately go back there!

Larry - I've been to Windy Point numerous times and really enjoy it and will go back there. I was just looking for something different. Besides, at Mansfield Dam I could take my dogs!

Thanks for the advice!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom