Lake Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueJ

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to camp and dive at Lake Travis? The only place I've been is to Windy Point, and that was mostly for classes. I'm looking for something different, maybe Mansfield Dam - but I don't know anything about it (as far as the camping part). I'm not worried about a dive shop being in the area for air fills, we've got enough tanks.
Thanks!

Sue

I liked Mansfield dam when our group was there last October. The stairs leading down to the water were a little long especially when carrying gear, but the camping area is nice and the diving isn't bad. There isn't as much to see in the way of submerged stuff.

Another idea that I like is rent a pontoon boat with a group and hit some of the lake spots.

Have fun,

Tom

The only places I've camped on Lake Travis has been Windy Point and Mansfield Dam. The Dam is actually a city/county park. IIRC, it cost $15 to camp for the weekend. There is a seperate divers camping area which is really quite nice. There's a bath house with showers and pottys very close, a few covered pavillions, etc. although these aren't real close to the stairs leading to the water.

We had a great time there in October and plan to return several times this summer.

I was in Tx for a few months and had the chance to go dive it but i didnt :( I regret not going and getting a few dives in there. Any deep diving there in Travis ? if so i would like to know where and what depths .

My brother lives out there still i may still get a chance. Any info would be very helpfull, thx alot.

If they are pulling water thru the Dam there may be a current as the water does come off the bottom. I have no idea how strong it would be though.

Tom

Originally posted by trymixdiver
any current in that channel ?

I've been to 170ft in front of Windy Point, which isn't far from the Dam. I noticed no current. Unless you count the surge from the speed boats as we were hanging at our last deco spot! BTW, it's dark down there!

---------------------------------
Disclaimer: This depth was achieved during a deep deco class. I am in no way promoting dives deeper than rec limits without the proper training and equipment.

All,
The camping and diving at Mansfield Park is great. One can dive the cove, off the point on either side of the cove and up at the dive area near the dam. There are grottos off the points mentioned above. They are at the 600-601 foot level, so if you know the current lake level, with simple subtraction you can figure out the depths. There are a couple of sailboats and old ski boats sunk off the dive area near the dam.
The maximum depth of Lake Travis at normal lake level (681 ft MSL) is 190 feet. Those depths can be reached in the river channel near the dam and near Hippie Hollow.
Have a great trip!

Originally posted by carlislere
All,
The camping and diving at Mansfield Park is great. One can dive the cove, off the point on either side of the cove and up at the dive area near the dam. There are grottos off the points mentioned above. They are at the 600-601 foot level, so if you know the current lake level, with simple subtraction you can figure out the depths. There are a couple of sailboats and old ski boats sunk off the dive area near the dam.
The maximum depth of Lake Travis at normal lake level (681 ft MSL) is 190 feet. Those depths can be reached in the river channel near the dam and near Hippie Hollow.
Have a great trip!

I had heard it was around 500ft in the middle. Must have been one of those urban legends! I always wondered what the normal lake level was....Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom