New diver in Austin, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Echo2112

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey y’all - like the title says, I’m a new diver in the Austin area. Will be finishing my cert dives for open water this coming weekend at Spring Lake, and will be heading to Maui the middle of next month, and have a trip to Cancun set for late in July.

Hoping to be able to find dive sites in Texas, I’ve found several but I’m hoping to learn from those with more experience here Both for diving in Texas and other great spots to travel to.

I want to be able to get enough dives in by summer to qualify for the 25 required dives to apply to be a conservation diver at Spring Lake but I am willing and able to travel places for more diving. We have a nice travel trailer we can take along for a base camp, and I love road trips so other states are always an option too.

Cheers!

Being near Austin, I believe most of the Austin dive ops may still be using Lake Travis. A little further south is the Comal River in New Braunfels, which has similar depths as Spring Lake, 70-71F temps, and will provide good training for shallow water buoyancy control. Not far from the Comal River is Canyon Lake, and it is good for shallow dives at North Park, and deeper dives in other areas of the lake. Right now, the water at Canyon Lake may be too cold in most spots without a dry suit, but you can check with Duggan Dive or Dive World in San Antonio to see if they have any group dives planned for the near future.

Most people in the Austin area dive Lake Travis. There are two dive-parks, Windy Point and another at the Mansfield Dam.

Right now, the water at Canyon Lake may be too cold in most spots without a dry suit
Personally, there aren't many place in Texas that I'm aware of, where the water is warm enough for me to dive in February without a dry-suit. Unless heated swimming pools are on the list.

I want to be able to get enough dives in by summer to qualify for the 25 required dives to apply to be a conservation diver at Spring Lake
Spring Lake is probably the clearest water in Central Texas. It's also a relatively even temperature year-round, so perhaps warmer during the winter, but colder during the rest of the year. You could always dive the river just downstream of that lake, however you'll be dealing with some current.

To reach 25 dives, I'd suggest diving whatever is close-by. And buy a 7mm wetsuit, so you can get an early start on the dive-season.

The San Marcos river is about as clear as it gets in your area. Check out Welcome to the Dive Shop in San Marcos, Texas! as they should know about everything in the area. Also check out What Will I See at the Flower Garden Banks? | Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary for this location is the best ocean diving near you.

I went to UT and lived near San Marcos and became a NAUI Instructor at the Dive Shop. I dove pretty much all the areas near Austin. I even dove Travis the year, they drained off about 50ft for the rice paddies down south. We got to see the old building and machinery left behind when they build the dam, nobody sees that stuff I;m pretty sure.

Anyway, if I can answer any questions, just let me know.

Hey y’all - like the title says, I’m a new diver in the Austin area. Will be finishing my cert dives for open water this coming weekend at Spring Lake, and will be heading to Maui the middle of next month, and have a trip to Cancun set for late in July.

Hoping to be able to find dive sites in Texas, I’ve found several but I’m hoping to learn from those with more experience here Both for diving in Texas and other great spots to travel to.

I want to be able to get enough dives in by summer to qualify for the 25 required dives to apply to be a conservation diver at Spring Lake but I am willing and able to travel places for more diving. We have a nice travel trailer we can take along for a base camp, and I love road trips so other states are always an option too.

Cheers!
One of the greatest dive trips is out of Texas...the Flower Gardens. You'll need a few more dives before most operators will let you go but it's something to look forward too.

Diving the Valhalla Missile Silo is a unique experience for diving in Texas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom