New Diver - liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cj4wfc

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm a newly qualified advanced adventurer with SSI (9 dives total, so very new) I qualified in Koh Tao and having now returned to the UK I've caught the bug.

I'm looking into booking a liveaboard trip as some of them seem to cater to inexperienced divers....

Just wondering what others experience has been on doing a liveaboard vs doing more fun dives before 'diving' straight in? What are some of the considerations outside of safety and comfort I should be aware of?

Any help is appreciated!

If you are in U.K. get down to Malta or Red Sea to get your dive count up first. You have dived in very benign conditions so far on Koh Tao

it would be great to get more experience in a couple of locations before you are on a boat doing 4 plus dives a day in a variety of conditions. You will get so much more out of the liveaboard if you are completely comfortable with most core aspects of diving and something that will take another 40-50 dives minimum to start to come together.

I would get some more dives under your belt before doing a liveaboard. The pace can be pretty intense (dive eat dive eat dive eat dive eat sleep repeat). Even as a longtime diver, I have found myself dragging a little, though it'"s a lot of fun too.

The trouble is there is not much else to do so if you get burned out, you've spent a lot of money and you're stuck on a boat with reading and sunbathing as your two main passtimes. You might be fine with it and have a blast but you won't know until you're out there for a week of nonstop diving.

cj4wfc, you can't be an AOWD with SSI (!) having only 9 dives as the SSI AOWD is a recognition level which asks for a minimum of 24 dives and four entire specialties.

Maybe you are qualified as an SSI Advanced Adventurer which is quite different and equivalent to the AOWD of other organizations.

cj4wfc, you can't be an AOWD with SSI (!) having only 9 dives as the SSI AOWD is a recognition level which asks for a minimum of 24 dives and four entire specialties.

Maybe you are qualified as an SSI Advanced Adventurer which is quite different and equivalent to the AOWD of other organizations.
Yes you're right, my mistake. SSI advanced adventurer was the cert.

fine, so AOWD could be your next goal. I would recommend attending at least Nitrox and Deep as specialties. And after 1 or 2 weeks of diving holidays (beside Red sea also the Mediterranean is a worthwhile diving destination from June to Sept [viz also ashore]) you may reach out for a liveaboard trip.

So I'm a newly qualified advanced adventurer with SSI (9 dives total, so very new) I qualified in Koh Tao and having now returned to the UK I've caught the bug.

I'm looking into booking a liveaboard trip as some of them seem to cater to inexperienced divers....

Just wondering what others experience has been on doing a liveaboard vs doing more fun dives before 'diving' straight in? What are some of the considerations outside of safety and comfort I should be aware of?

Any help is appreciated!
Hi, You could try one of the BSAC liveaboard trips running this year. We've had newly qualified Ocean Divers go and get their Advanced Ocean Diver during the trip with BSAC Egypt instructors. See this story, I spoke to Hannah in Egypt two days after the trip when I was diving with BSAC Egypt. BSAC recognise other agency qualifications, all you need do it join BSAC to go on a trip.

I'd make sure you can easily equalize or neutrally buoyant otherwise you might get swept if you cannot just down it off a zodiac and swim. Land-based diving such as resorts is better for those who enjoy the freedom of your own time or until one is used to 3 dives daily give or take. LBDs is a large group atmosphere 24/7. Think waking up, meal time, down time, sleep all at same time in a tiny space. You cannot sleep through that alarm bell or crew yelling/banging gear if you tried...

Strictly IMHO,

There have been several issues with Red Sea Liveaboards in the past year. We were considering going but we are re-thinking it now. For newly certified divers, my favorite recommendation is AquaCat over in Nassau. Now I'm in Florida, US so it's a lot closer to us than it is you, I get that. But the people are good people and the average dive profile for the trip is 30-50 feet.

Cheers! :)
=C=

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom