Question My biggest fear (on my first liveaboard trip).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrandonTL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
TLDR: Skip to the last paragraph

My girlfriend (and dive buddy) are planning a liveaboard trip for March (2024). But our naivety is causing us to have to pivot from our original plan and figure out what else we can do. We have never been on a liveaboard before, but out plan was to book a liveaboard trip in Galapagos. We found several that looked great after figuring out budget and itinerary and all of the things, were just about to pull the trigger on the plan and realized that we are nowhere near experienced enough for the requirements. Again, we should have known better but in our naivety/inexperience it didn't even occur to use that there would be a minimum logged dives requirement.

My girlfriend and I have done all of our dives and certs together so we are both at exactly the same level of experience. We are Padi AOW, which means we have the right certification for these liveaboard, but we only have 14 logged dives (I know, that is not very many at all, we would be doing more dive on this one trip than we have already logged). Our dives have ranged from warm clear visibility saltwater dives in the Caribbean, to deep cold freshwater dives in Lake Michigan. So we have some variety of experience just not the volume of experience.

All of the liveaboards that I could find (that actually had diving, vs just the snorkeling | Adventure ones) in the Galapagos had a requirement of 50 minimum logged dives. After a bit more research, it seems that this is specific to the Galapagos and due to the more challenging diving conditions there. I am not upset about the requirements at all. I am glad that they are not putting people's lives at risk by having people diving beyond their capabilities. I also recognize that a certification is no substitute for experience and we are just noobies. We will put our Galapagos trip on hold for now and due it in the future after we have more experience. So... Now we just need to figure out where we are going in March!

Ok... sorry about all that background, now I will get to my point, and my biggest fear. All of the trips that we were looking at in the Galapagos had plenty of land excursions along with ~20 dives. That mix really appealed to us. Since we wont be able to make the Galapagos work for now, we are looking for other locations (somewhere in the Americas due to time constraints, so mostly looking in the Caribbean, and Pacific areas near Central America). We are finding a lot of trips that would work with our timeline and budget, but the one thing we are not finding are any that have any real time on land. Most have some fun thing to do on land on the second to last day (my assumption is that it is for getting time without diving before flying). Most of these trips are Saturday to Saturday and as far as I can tell, we would be on the boat with no land activities from Sunday through Friday Evening. My biggest fear about being on a boat in the open ocean, for days... Is being bored.

I know we would have a ton of fun and adventure on any of these trips. And with 20+ dives, a lot of our time would be occupied just with diving and recovering from dives. Then there are meals and just "taking it all in". But how else would we occupy our time beyond that? Last thing I want is to be floating out in the middle of the ocean, bored out of my mind, wondering why we are there? A day or two like this doesn't scare me too much, but by day 5 or 6... Would we be going nuts?

So I am looking for advice in two ways... Do you know of any liveaboards in warm tropical Western Hemisphere locations that do not require more than 14 logged dives, that still offer lots of diving daily, that also have a decent amount of land excursions, like the trips I found in the Galapagos? Or if that is too much to hope for... What have been your experiences with liveaboards where you don't get to land for several days? Do you go crazy? How do you occupy yourselves? Sorry for posting the novel here, and thank you so much for any thoughts or advice you may be able to offer.

LOL, boredom never seemed to be a problem on the liveaboards I've been on, there wasn't time. We were in the water first thing in the morning, breakfast after the dive then start prepping for the next dive. After that dive, some down time before lunch, after which we were back in the water for our third and forth dives. Dinner, then time to relax and head off to sleep. This was a normal dive day.

I've done the Aqua Cat, out of the Bahamas twice and really enjoyed it. The diving was good, new divers do well there and there were a couple of land excursions. The Aqua Cat is run by AllStar Liveaboards, check it out.

Good for you for doing your homework! Even with my dive experience, I have no desire to go to the Galapagos.

I agree with @js1221. I've been on Aqua Cat four times, and you will have fun and not be bored. I've only been on the Aqua Cat for Caribbean liveaboards, but I don't think land excursions are offered with other companies. The focus is purely diving. They are based out of Florida, so communication is easy. I highly recommend them. One tip if you book with them, avoid Cabin 11. It's no bigger than a walk-in closet.

Thanks! I was wondering/hoping that it might just be that the diving is enough to occupy enough of the time (or that you'd be exhausted enough on the downtime that you just want to rest anyway).

I did just take a look at at Aqua Cat base both of your suggestions. It looks great, but it looks like they are all booked up during any of our available time. I am considering one in Belize... Any thoughts on this:

Belize Aggressor III

Thanks! I was wondering/hoping that it might just be that the diving is enough to occupy enough of the time (or that you'd be exhausted enough on the downtime that you just want to rest anyway).

I did just take a look at at Aqua Cat base both of your suggestions. It looks great, but it looks like they are all booked up during any of our available time. I am considering one in Belize... Any thoughts on this:

Belize Aggressor III

I've been on the Belize Aggressor III and we had a fantastic time. The crew was great, food was good and most importantly the diving was good (was not impressed with the Blue Hole, but that is just my opinion). Lots of opportunities to dive with sharks too. That said, there were no land excursions, you were out on the boat the entire time. Still, it was a great trip.

Oh, and if you do make it to the Aqua Cat, heed the advice of Living4Experiences and avoid Cabin 11, if possible. It is very small and has bunk beds. My wife and I spent our 5th wedding anniversary in that cabin. If it's all you can get though, we'd do it again.

Hi @BrandonTL

I think you are smart to postpone Galapagos until you have more experience and skill. You only have at most 5 dives that were not your OW or AOW training dives. I assume you do have your nitrox cert.

The Aggressor to Belize is very good Caribbean diving and is very easy. I went on the BA IV in 2022, before it went aground in November of 2023. You can opt to dive with the guide. This would be a good way to increase your experience significantly. The BA does do a half day excursion on Half Moon Cay, quite good.

I don't know how much SCTLD and bleaching has affected Belize, but it sounds quite substantial, like it is in much/all of the Caribbean

If you like diving and you're doing most of the dives offered you will not be bored on a liveaboard. Like others have said there's 3-5 dives a day which will make you exhausted. Honestly most people go to sleep soon after dinner (~8pm) since you're usually up around 5-6am for the first dive. If you want to be social there's some people that will stay up later and chat. If you're not social you can read or watch something you've downloaded in your cabin. There's really only and hour or two between dives which is just enough time to eat, chat with others about how your dive went then rest for a bit. There really isn't time to be bored on a liveaboard.

Oh and my first liveaboard was the Turks and Caicos Explorer. I only had 25 dives and it was a great experience! No land excursions but I generally don't like those since I'm usually wishing I was rather in the water.

Whatever liveaboard you choose just let the cruise director know that you only have a handful of dives and are looking for as much feedback/tips as possible. Also I'd honestly recommend switching buddies for a day or so. I always learn more from watching more experienced divers and listening to their perspective.

Back
Top Bottom