Looking for destination advice - March/April 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jejton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My FIL and I are looking to do a 5-7 day dive trip this March or April. We are both AOW, EAN certified. I have about 100 dives logged, almost all of them in south Florida, split between shore and boat diving. He has extensively more dive experience with lot of dive travel (Galapagos, Exumas, Maldives). We are looking for advice on choosing a destination for this trip. It will be just the two of us so while topside activities would be nice, this is a dive-centric trip, our topside activities will likely be end of the day beer and relaxing. I have never done a liveaboard, so would love to try one. He has done a few. I'm not a big fan of drift diving; cenote/cavern diving not a big draw. we want to see healthy reefs, fauna and an occasional wreck would be nice, but not necessary. For accommodations, we are comfortable with spartan accommodations, as long as they are dry, clean and safe. Quality of food is not an issue as we will be supplying our own due to a strict dietary restriction. Ideally, the location is a direct flight from MIA or FLL but would consider connecting flights for the right trip. Will bring our own gear, minus tanks and weights of course. Would like to keep total price under $5k/pp.

Great question, all the required deets, very coherent. Kinda’ unusual :wink:

You’re going to get a pile of responses.

Because you’re carrying food, you’re pretty well restricted to the Caribbean I think, taking foodstuffs further afield internationally would be more than difficult,

I can think of several very good AI dive resorts in the Caribbean that could cater to almost any dietary need that you specify with advanced notice. you could also likely find any Caribbean liveaboard that with advanced notice could comply with your needs. However, there aren’t that many liveaboards and I don’t see the value in them for the Caribbean.

A liveaboard in the Caribbean seems to be a great waste of money. One should utilize the liveaboard to access Dive sites that are more diverse than simply staying at one resort and going to info their local Dive sites in the Caribbean. This is simply not an issue. There is nothing operating in the Caribbean that gives you better or more access than being at a local dive resort, there have been in the past, but due to the far-flung nature of their stations they’ve gone away. Gone are the days of truly exotic diving via ship in the Caribbean. The better Bahamas liveaboards would be a noticeable exception the ones that get you to the out islands and give you a variety of diving. AquaCat comes to mind.

One thing did make me a little curious & my brow wrinkle ? …and that was your comment about drift diving. This is the similar kind of wording I hear from people who have never skied in deep powder. You might want to try it you might like it …I’m sure you’ll like it if you’re taught correctly. There’s way more to life than skiing on hard pack groomed snow.

Because corals are healthier when they’re in a good stiff current, or changing water, which is presented in currents, you’re gonna see, better looking reefs if you get out there and “go with the flow“

If you could handle some currents …with that budget..,wow - the world is your oyster- but you could start with some more local exotic stuff like Tobago or possibly los Roques.

There are only but two or three natural wrecks in the Caribbean that are existent after being underwater for many years, I understand your lack of desire to do wrecks- but there’s no need to penetrate a wreck to get its advantage - and there’s a lot of wrecks out there that are placed artificial reefs, providing great structure for fish schooling. Same effect as the holy grail status of a seamount, but way easier access.

You’re going to get all sorts of ideas about where to dive and there’s a few things left in the Caribbean that haven’t been totally destroyed, as far as pure accessibility meaning ease of travel, you can’t really beat Roatan or the Bay Islands there is not much current there, but still some of the healthiest reef structures that remain in the Caribbean.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a little confused by what seems to be contradictory advice regarding Caribbean liveaboards vs resorts. As for drift diving, I don't mind it, just that when I see something interesting, I like to take my time and watch it, explore, take photographs. As for wrecks, I do enjoy them (no penetration of course) but they aren't a must have. If they are available, great, I will dive them but I won't choose this trip solely based on the presence or absence of wrecks.

I'd say (and believe you have direct flights to):

Belize (Turneffe)
Roatan
Bahamas

Specifically, in terms of your newer question, regarding live aboard versus land-based in the Caribbean? there is not much need or practical utility for a liveaboard.

The only place that they are currently being utilized that makes any sense is if you want to go to the out islands of the Bahamas…otherwise, any of the other liveaboards down the Winward, Leeward antilles all the way over to Roatan make no sense… you can get just as good diving access from land-based -

BUT if you wanna see the coolest islands of the Bahamas, as I said the Aqua Cat is my favorite and there are lower quality or less than five star liveaboards. In this very narrow case, this specific island zone- liveaboards work.

Otherwise, in the “Caribbean Basin”, liveaboards are overpriced and over marketed.

In years past, before land based dive ops were built up, before islands had reliable air connections, the Caribbean liveaboard made sense. In the present day of fuel prices, running the engines on a ship are kept to a very minimum.

Go land based.

If $5K is your limit, I'd vote for TBR in Roatan, Cozumel, or shore diving in Bonaire or Curacao.

A liveaboard in the Caribbean seems to be a great waste of money. One should utilize the liveaboard to access Dive sites that are more diverse than simply staying at one resort and going to info their local Dive sites in the Caribbean. This is simply not an issue. There is nothing operating in the Caribbean that gives you better or more access than being at a local dive resort, there have been in the past, but due to the far-flung nature of their stations they’ve gone away.
Except Belize where the reefs are too far from the mainland. So your choice is (1) liveaboard (2) diving from the mainland with very long boat ride and just a few reefs to go to, and (3) dive from resort on some atoll, however, these are too relaxed to my taste. Last time we checked, though awhile ago, they were all doing 2 dives a day.

Reactions: Doc
My FIL and I are looking to do a 5-7 day dive trip this March or April.
I see you're in Florida, but if you've only got 5-7 days, that means 3-5 days of diving, when you add in travel time.
We are both AOW, EAN certified. I have about 100 dives logged, almost all of them in south Florida, split between shore and boat diving. He has extensively more dive experience with lot of dive travel (Galapagos, Exumas, Maldives). We are looking for advice on choosing a destination for this trip. It will be just the two of us so while topside activities would be nice, this is a dive-centric trip, our topside activities will likely be end of the day beer and relaxing. I have never done a liveaboard, so would love to try one. He has done a few. I'm not a big fan of drift diving; cenote/cavern diving not a big draw. we want to see healthy reefs, fauna and an occasional wreck would be nice, but not necessary. For accommodations, we are comfortable with spartan accommodations, as long as they are dry, clean and safe. Quality of food is not an issue as we will be supplying our own due to a strict dietary restriction.
Since your dietary requirements necessitate that you bring your own food, a liveaboard will not be a good option for you. Stick with a land-based resort.
Ideally, the location is a direct flight from MIA or FLL but would consider connecting flights for the right trip. Will bring our own gear, minus tanks and weights of course. Would like to keep total price under $5k/pp.
Perhaps Cozumel or Curacao.

I've taken foodstuffs to Belize a number of times but not enough for two people to eat for a week. Further, it was all in original sealed packaging.

Ok so we had to postpone this trip to end of May. Still trying to decide on a destination. Overwhelmed with conflicting advice. Once again, we are looking to a dive focused trip (beer with some music at the end of the day would be nice). Preferably a direct flight from MIA/FLL (a hopper flight to final destination is acceptable), dive resort or resort/hotel with a good dive op close by would be great (would prefer to avoid having to make transportation arrangements for each dive), boat dive with shore diving mixed in, 3 dive trips/day goal (that can include a shore dive), night diving available. Whats not important - food (we will be packing our own), nightlife (no clubbing for us, but some evening entertainment always appreciated), luxurious accomodations (won't turn them down but as long as its clean, safe and has running bathroom/shower water we will be fine). Budget, with airfare and accomodations, up to $5,000 (less is preferable). Not a necessity but if I can use Chase, Marriot or Hilton points towards accommodations, that would be great.

Keep going back and forth between Roatan, Bonaire, Curacao, Cozumel and Bonaire.
This is what I've been getting
Cozumel - lots of options for dive ops, accommodations, flights. Almost all drift diving. Not the biggest fan of drift diving as we like to stop and smell the roses when seeing something interesting. Not a deal breaker but definitely a factor.
Bonaire - I'm fine with shore diving but my buddy would prefer more boat diving on this trip for ease of entry
Curacao - More of a family vacation with good diving, then a dive vacation in and of itself
Roatan - Lots of boat diving, few shore dives, mixed reviews on dive resorts (seems like AK and CCV are the ones most people use but they seem to only offer AI packages and we don't want to pay for food we wont be eating).

Any advice? Any suggestions (destinations, hotels/resorts)? any other locations we should strongly consider?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom