Lake Rawlings Temp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brlong23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone been out to Lake Rollings recently and have an update on water temp at surface and depth? The wife and I were going to go Saturday but didn't want to bring multiple suits if it could be avoided :)

I haven't lived in VA in a long time but my memory is the water temp is fairly predictable at Lake Rawlings. I'd plan for 75f above the thermocline and 55f below. The top temp may be a little different but the bottom temp should be predictable and the controlling factor.

Lake Rawlings - FAQ

I assume you are referring to lake Rawlings????

It was still in the high 60's at the surface a few weeks ago, but should have warmed significantly since then. It's still drysuit time below the thermo, but a 3-5 mil should suffice to around 30'.

Yeah, I guess I spelled that wrong...lol

I just got off the phone with the dive shop down there and they said as of Sunday, the temp at 30 ft was 69 deg. Saturday is supposed to be sunny and a high of 89 so it should be a nice day. Anyone else going to be down there Saturday...it would be nice to meet new people in the area? I'm new to diving (just got my OW last week) but I'm already looking to build my dives and my wife has conciderably more experience.

i can't go this saturday, but i'm down for some trips to rawlings in the future. feel free to pm me if you want to plan a trip.

It was 76 deg. on the surface and 70 deg. at 21ft on Wednesday afternoon. If you plan on going below thermocline then definitely need a 5mm.

For those that are interested...went out Saturday. First dive was at 11am and the temp was 75 on the surface (it was overcast) and although I didn't check the temperature at depth, it was relatively warm down to 25 feet. We dropped down to 33 feet at one point but it was damn cold there. I dove in a 3mm and was fine up until our 3rd dive around 2:30pm. At that point, a 5mm would have been better, but I managed fine. Got out of there just before the rain hit, although it made for an eventful drive home :)

It was our first time to Lake Rawlings and I was impressed. Visibility was 30+ (I could look down from the surface and see the helicopter) and there was plenty to explore. Will definitely be going back!

- Brandon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom