Recent water temperature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmssetc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have recent water temperatures -- surface and at depth?

Trying to decide which wetsuit to bring this week and hoping it has cooled off enough for the coral to recover.

Thanks!

The color in coral that is still alive is slowly comming back. What is dead is not.

The color in coral that is still alive is slowly comming back. What is dead is not.
What I found interesting during the last few months was that the water temps were the same from the bottom of the island to the top but above Palancar and south where the current was stagnant the bleaching was much more pronounced and the further north you got where the currents were more normal the bleaching was less.

What I found interesting during the last few months was that the water temps were the same from the bottom of the island to the top but above Palancar and south where the current was stagnant the bleaching was much more pronounced and the further north you got where the currents were more normal the bleaching was less.
I was diving the other day on the east side and noticed very little bleaching if any. The brain coral looked healthy. Temp today was around 82.3 degrees so cooling down.

82f at Santa Rosa last Sat. Feb 3

That is way too warm this time of year. Should be 78-79.
Maybe another bad year to be Coral. Hope is still cools some more.

It is a bit warm. I just checked by electronic logbook and in 2023 we had 79-81 in early May, in 2021 we 78-80 in early April and in 2017 we had 77-79 in mid Feb. To be fair, in 2020 we did have 80-81 in mid Feb. and I've never had a trip where some of the dives weren't at least 79 degrees.

Keep in mind we're talking about a few degrees and DC's are not known for temperature accuracy. Nor are people always reliable in how they observe and report temperature. I'll take my own readings in a few weeks and compare to my logs.

The end of January my Oceanic consistently read 81. This week it has been bouncing between 79/80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom