Lake Murray OK./Sunday 4/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to wonder why we haven't ( or I haven't at least) thought of this thing about the intakes before...
I did think that there had to be something that the structure actually did to control the lake level ( the steel tower on the South side) There is a platform at about 70-77 feet right below that tower ( aka The Crab Trap ) I would suppose that directly below that platform along the fall line there would be the "" Intakes"" if they do exist.

There has to be something at some depth or why put that Tower there in the first place right ?

The shore entry there is a Blanking Bi***. Even when the water level is higher it's not a cake walk. We use ropes there not just to be safe but because you have to !

It's getting warm now and soon the gear load won't be so bad. I'm going to hunt those intakes down or live trying :wink:

I'm also going to do a exploration of the dry side of the dam and see if I can locate the outlets to them first.

You don't need to tell me about the snakes. I've experienced one " Right hand "
The suckers are some how just drawn to me. After the first bite you just go prepared.

If the out put from the dam can be located then it seems that a direct path through the dam into the lake would locate the fall line and at some depth....the intake itself !

It all sounds so easy so why hasn't it been done yet ??? I guess we will figure that out pretty soon :14:

I have personally seen the outlet, from above. If I remember correctly, just cross the road from where we dive (rocks, corner of dam by tower) and look down. Depending on the foliage, you may have to start down a bit to get to some clearing, but you will see the concrete structure, down in the valley at the lowest level.

Here's a Link to Murray's History

This page talks about the cave under Tucker Tower...and the metal tower that controls valves to drain sediment off the bottom, that's never been used because the valves rusted shut. It also claims the lake is 130' feet deep at the dam. There are a few old pictures during construction.

Thanks for the link. That has some really interesting information.

I haven't located a pre-impoundment topo, but I did find this:

Lake Murray Topo.JPG

The spillway and lake level are 750', and the roadbed is 762'. The bottom of the valley is 640', so 110' can be expected if the valley remains constant from one side of the dam to the other. Deeper depths could in fact be possible and the claimed depth of 130' is possible at some point on the dam, especially if the intakes were dug out 20' at the very base. This of course, doesn't account for silting over the years.

If someone has a boat with a nice depth finder......

Joe-Diver:
If someone has a boat with a nice depth finder......

Don't need a boat with a 'depth finder'...that is what is strapped to my wrist! :wink:

Joe I carry that map in my glove box along with the rest of that area between the spillways and Marietta landing. :D
So... if I follow you on this the out flow from the intakes ( Tubes ) would be right about where that little pond is shown with the elevation number 762 to the right ?

I think the area we dive is right above the 762...with the flat of the dam to the right. Looking straight down that, about 5 o'clock from the 762, is a small pond down at what looks to be 640. I think that is the outlet.

I don't think we'd get enough bottom time to criss cross the area...it would be more efficient to have a boat with a good bottom profiling depth finder...criss cross the whole area and dive specific points of "interest"....or just keep criss crossing and enjoying a cold "beverage" or two..and maybe feed the fish....with hooks and lines....

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in the boat all day and drink Beer :D

Either way this is sounding more and more like a good time !

Back
Top Bottom