Lake Murray OK./Sunday 4/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe-Diver:
Corner of the dam by the metal tower....so, the VW bug is still there?

Yea the VW is still there in all its glory!

Joe-Diver:
Wow....we put that bug there...back around '86.....:D

Now that is cool....long time ago....so what is the 'story' behind the old car? :huh: :wink:

texdiveguy:
Now that is cool....long time ago....so what is the 'story' behind the old car? :huh: :wink:

Back then, I worked for the LDS that sank it. We got permission from the OK parks and wildlife and the corps. We spent a couple of weeks behind the shop cleaning it out and stripping it...put stickers all over it...then trailered it to the lake. Rolled it down the dam and into the water, then used lift bags to place it on the sandy slope just off the point, between the rocks and the tower at about 35'. One of the guys put a small animal skull in one of the headlights...that actually stayed there a long time.

So, that's the story...put there on purpose with full permission. That spot was where we took students all the time....back then, it was Murray or Squaw Creek. I personally like Squaw Creek better because in the late 80's vis was almost aways 10'+....and the forest out past the platforms was the coolest dive when the vis was exceptional.

Joe-Diver:
Back then, I worked for the LDS that sank it. We got permission from the OK parks and wildlife and the corps. We spent a couple of weeks behind the shop cleaning it out and stripping it...put stickers all over it...then trailered it to the lake. Rolled it down the dam and into the water, then used lift bags to place it on the sandy slope just off the point, between the rocks and the tower at about 35'. One of the guys put a small animal skull in one of the headlights...that actually stayed there a long time.

So, that's the story...put there on purpose with full permission. That spot was where we took students all the time....back then, it was Murray or Squaw Creek. I personally like Squaw Creek better because in the late 80's vis was almost aways 10'+....and the forest out past the platforms was the coolest dive when the vis was exceptional.

Hey thanks for the background....the old VW sites in alot deeper water these days. I have been on the car with less than 1ft. vis to some times 10ft. vis.. Now there is another old car not a VW sitting in 35ffw near the same area.

texdiveguy:
Hey thanks for the background....the old VW sites in alot deeper water these days. I have been on the car with less than 1ft. vis to some times 10ft. vis.. Now there is another old car not a VW sitting in 35ffw near the same area.

So, the VW has slid down the slope?(or was moved) How deep is it now?

Joe-Diver:
So, the VW has slid down the slope?(or was moved) How deep is it now?

Around 78ffw give or take a foot as I recall.

Joe-Diver:
It has moved....been a long time since I've been there, but that's getting down to the dropoffs and the creekbed?

Very much so....I have not found in that area of the lake any deeper than around 94ffw.

PS---if ever you want to run up and drop down to the car,,,drop me a line.

texdiveguy:
Very much so....I have not found in that area of the lake any deeper than around 94ffw.

Like I said, it's been a while and for some reason I always narc'd really bad deep in that lake...but I "seem" to remember small drops into the creekbed (5' or so) and some areas of the creekbed as you went toward the dam that could hit 100 to 105...depending on lake level. It was a long time ago, dark, cold and I was narc'd so that could be "fuzzy" information.....

We made a couple of dives with some local boys that used to pull the big cats out of holes with welder's gloves, down in the creekbed. I didn't participate...just :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom