Koh Lipe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are all entitled to our own opinion.
There is nothing to agree/disagree.
Anyone who has never been there perhaps it is about time to pay that tiny island an extended visit.

My time and money is unfortunately, not unlimited. If there really is diving there that will give me Raja Ampat joy, then, yes, i should go. But if not, I'd rather save that time and money and apply it to Raja.

The reef structures on sites like SD at Nusa Penida and Lebongan make me reasonably happy too but not Raja happy.

My time and money is unfortunately, not unlimited. If there really is diving there that will give me Raja Ampat joy, then, yes, i should go. But if not, I'd rather save that time and money and apply it to Raja.

The reef structures on sites like SD at Nusa Penida and Lebongan make me reasonably happy too but not Raja happy.
IMO, the diving in Lipe (and the south Andaman in general, i.e., Hin Daeng/Muang, Koh Haa, Koh Rok/Wean, and Ko Phi Phi) is the best in Thailand, but it is not RA level diving (I've not been but seen plenty of videos). However, accessibility and cost make the south Andaman a viable destination for many.

I have been to R4 too and it was great. But would I go back again and again? Definitely NOT. You can only answer your own question, no one can.
Plenty of tourists found Phuket attractive but it is a huge tourist TRAP. The Big Budda is a prime example of trying to keep the tourist's money on the island.
Wat Phra Mahathat Woramahawihan in Nakhon Si Thamamat is far more important to the devoted.

I have been to R4 too and it was great. But would I go back again and again? Definitely NOT. You can only answer your own question, no one can.
Plenty of tourists found Phuket attractive but it is a huge tourist TRAP. The Big Budda is a prime example of trying to keep the tourist's money on the island.
Wat Phra Mahathat Woramahawihan in Nakhon Si Thamamat is far more important to the devoted.

You have been to both. I have been to Raja Ampat , at least 4 times and would indeed return again and again. I love it and despite having been on a couple of sites more than once, most dives reveal new adventures every time.

All that said, Koh Lipe may be easier to access and value may be better but only if the diving experience has value.

For example, I live Koh Tao island but NOT the less than mediocre diving found there.

The only issue I have with Koh Lipe is the popularity of that tiny island. Koh Lanta is far better because you can escape from the crowd. Hop onto a bike and you are on your own.

We had a great week in Ko Lipe in December 2019. We dived with Adang Sea Divers, UK owned with a really nice atmosphere. My hubby decided to take a break from diving in 2019 and used to join us for lunch at the dive centre, the people were so lovely to him too. We had some great macro spots and on the last day were able to dive Stonehenge which was fabulous. And even better, my hubby reconsidered not diving during lockdown and is now back to being a happy hard core diver.

You have been to both. I have been to Raja Ampat , at least 4 times and would indeed return again and again. I love it and despite having been on a couple of sites more than once, most dives reveal new adventures every time.

All that said, Koh Lipe may be easier to access and value may be better but only if the diving experience has value.

For example, I live Koh Tao island but NOT the less than mediocre diving found there.
Ko Lipe is basically Ko Tao with great diving; same chill vibe but more expensive (and much smaller...you can walk from end to end in twenty minutes). It's lots of fish, pretty reefs, and a couple muck sites. If you're very lucky maybe a whale shark at 8 Mile Rock but that's about it for big stuff. I've never heard of Manta or Eagle Rays or much shark action down there (probably some Zebra Sharks though).

Koh Lipe is no more expensive than anywhere in the Kingdom. PERIOD.
I can have a filling breakfast for less than B50.00. In Kho Tao you will be lucky to find any stall selling breakfast early in the morning, 7/11 is probably your option in Mae Haad.
EAT at the local and with the local.

I was watching the crew loading the night ferry with hundred bottles of drinking water bound for Kho Tao from Surat Thani few night ago. The ship was scheduled to sail at 22:00 and arrived at 06:00 following morning. Even drinking water is to be brought over from the mainland.

Expensive! Far out.
If I managed to spend B350.00 a day on food I would consider myself to be self indulged in Koh Lipe. And yet to happen.

Koh Lipe is no more expensive than anywhere in the Kingdom. PERIOD.
I can have a filling breakfast for less than B50.00. In Kho Tao you will be lucky to find any stall selling breakfast early in the morning, 7/11 is probably your option in Mae Haad.
EAT at the local and with the local.

I was watching the crew loading the night ferry with hundred bottles of drinking water bound for Kho Tao from Surat Thani few night ago. The ship was scheduled to sail at 22:00 and arrived at 06:00 following morning. Even drinking water is to be brought over from the mainland.

Expensive! Far out.
If I managed to spend B350.00 a day on food I would consider myself to be self indulged in Koh Lipe. And yet to happen.
I must be more extravinant that you:
* Ko Lipe Dec 22 = B790 a day
* Koh Tao Jun 23 = B590 a day

I'm a sad individual in I keep a record of all my spending.

I must be more extravinant that you:
* Ko Lipe Dec 22 = B790 a day
* Koh Tao Jun 23 = B590 a day

I'm a sad individual in I keep a record of all my spending.
You must be really decadent to be able to spend such a huge sum in Koh Lipe daily.
I am at the Kingom at the moment and had spent B2,700.00 over last 7 nights(room excluded). The most expensive single item was the bus fare from Khao Lak to Surat Thani(B250.00).
I do keep track of my expenditure during the trip as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom