Koh Lipe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL.
You have been there several times and are far knowledgeable about the island and the diving sence than I.
Quite a journey from bonnie Scotland to this part of the world.
Usually around 20 hours Glasgow to Bangkok, overnight at Don Mueang airport (on the free airport bus) and fly to Hat Yal then van/ferry (5 hours) to the island. On the return I normally plan two nights in Bangkok in case of weather stopping the ferry off the isalnd - which can happen anytime of year.
Koh Yang East(again) and Big Rock
Lot of nudi of various sizes and colors.
The best dives were

Attachments

• IMG_6024.png
    IMG_6024.png
    277.3 KB · Views: 21
Stonehenge is off limited because of strong easterly wind.
As for 8 miles rock: not enough experience diver to justify the trip.

I am planning a return in Feb 2025 a wk after the Lunar New Year. And I need to find another operator which does not cater mainly for student.
Speed boat transfer between Lanta and Lipe is history for me. Never ever again.
Lanta to Pakbara/Satun and then Lipe the following morning,

Last day of diving. Koh Pung and Koh Sarang again!
Stiff wind and a bit of wave!! Anyone taking the speed boat to Koh Lanta could well be in a spot of bother.
Current was strong so the boat has to move to the other side of the island on the first dive. Hit by the cold water in Koh Sarang and the temp/vis dropped considerably!
I was on nudi "hunting" in both dives and came across quite a few that I had never seen. "Blue Dragon" is everywhere.
Off to Krabi town via Pakbara tomorrow, hope the sea is flat even though the journey is about an hr.
The conditions in Andaman Sea were pretty awful especially in Koh Lanta during my stay there. And the weather also limited the dive sites available in Kho Lipe.
Thinking a return to both islands from 07th Feb 2025 onward.
New Moon: 10th Feb
Full moon: 24th Feb
New Moon : 10th Mar

Koh Lipe to Krabi Town or other destinations in the kingdom:
09:30 was the boat schedule.
I arrived at the check in counter around 08:30, got a sticker one each for my bag and myself and also a plastic card with number on it for boarding. Went to The Steak House just beside the ticket counter and the waitress said I need to pay B15.00 to use the toilet so I walked back to the dive shop and mission accomplished.
The ferry was full but not as bad as the one I used coming from Koh Lanta. It was not packed elbow to elbow. The sailing was quite smooth with occasional bump. However, after dropping off two passengers at Tarutao National Park, the next 20 mins was terrible for some passengers sitting at the stern. The slash was awful and most of them got soaked to the skin. The journey took about 2hrs and the reps from various agencies were waiting at the pier for those who required land transfer. The van was fully loaded with luggage. I was eventually dropped off at the guest house in Krabi Town just before 17:00. There was a 30 mins lunch break during the journey.

I normally get the ferry from/to Ben Pak pier for Koh Lipe. Your right they‘re not the most comfortable ride, normally end up sitting on the lifejackets. Then a van to Hat Yai airport to fly back to Bangkok. Hopefully the new sky train will be running from Don Munang into the city. It’ll be cheaper and quicker than a taxi.

A speed boat(Bundhaya) on the way from Koh Lipe to Koh Lanta sank with 73 passengers on board Christmas Eve 2023. Luckily, there was NO casualty.
There is trip report from the survivor available on line(Reddit).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom