Know one of these guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A true professional diver is known by his/her accomplishments. They do not have to open thier mouth for self promotion.

Just because I may have thousands more dives then others, does not make me a better diver, just more experienced.

In the end, we are all just diving. Its easy.

You have thousands more dives because you are a dive addict!! I wish I were in a place to be a more avid addict....

After reading all these post. I am not DIR trained, I am no where near an expert, and have many skills that need a lot of improvement. I believe I have a lot to learn and don’t ever see myself as becoming an “Expert”.

However, I see the DIR philosophy as having many advantages that I wish to learn and adapt to make myself a better diver. I have always felt that practicing skills to maintain a level of proficiency and to improve my diving is just part of the process. I purchase equipment and adapt my gear setup to learn new and better ways to improve my diving experience. I dive with all levels of divers, but prefer to dive with divers (at all levels) that strive to improve their skill to be safer divers. I, at times, have discussed techniques with lesser experienced divers to help them learn alternative methods, as I have also asked more experienced divers about how / why they use techniques / equipment so that I might learn new and possibly better ways to dive.

I guess I don’t understand why so many people bash the DIR concept. From what I have read, the concepts and techniques taught under the DIR training teach proficiency so you can become a better diver. So what is wrong with this?

I have not met any DIR diver personally, but have read many post written by them on this board and others and I have yet to see any that spout the condemnation that I see from non- DIR divers. Many are happy to help others when asked. I see many post saying DIR divers are *****es. Well from my minimal experience, and I stress minimal, I have seen *****es at all levels. It’s not a selective club; you don’t have to be DIR to join.

I want to take the DIR-F class. I want to progress (one day) to technical training, be it GUE or some other training agency. I want to improve my gear configuration if it makes me a safer diver (for my own safety as well as my buddies). So I guess you can classify me as a DIR wanna be.

wdlk:
.... It’s not a selective club; you don’t have to be DIR to join.

I want to take the DIR-F class. I want to progress (one day) to technical training, be it GUE or some other training agency. I want to improve my gear configuration if it makes me a safer diver (for my own safety as well as my buddies). So I guess you can classify me as a DIR wanna be.

You dont have to be, but it helps!

If you go tech than GUE is a Great way to go. As for reconfiguring your rig, you don't have to be DIR ( or GUE trained ) to do that! It only requires a little ( actually, a lot) of thought, some imagination and an enjoyment of writing lots of checks :wink: and That is really the One thing that DIR/GUE Has brought to rec diving. It has made the availabliity and quality of things that had to be hand made less than a decade ago available to a large number of divers. I used to catch more flack for my "home made" plate and harness than I like to remember - usualy by some rototillin DM in his jacket BC.

Time was ( only a few years ago ) that DIRF wasn't a 'Class'. You Really weren't supposed to 'learn' anything - it was more a test to see if you had the skills needed to go into the Tech classes. It only became a Class when recreational divers started taking it enmass, because they couldn't pass it!

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way
I can't wait to look in the mirror
Cuz I get better lookin each day

To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man
But I'm doin' the best that I can

I used to have a girlfriend
But I guess she just couldn't compete
With all these love starved women
Who keep clamoring at my feet

Well I probably could find me another
But I guess they're all in awe of me
Who cares I never get lonesome
Cuz I treasure my own company

When you're perfect in every way
I can't wait to look in the mirror
Cuz I get better lookin each day

To know me is to love me
I must be a hell of a man
But I'm doin the best that I can

I guess you could say I am a loner
A cowboy all locked up and proud
Well I could have lots of friends if I wanted
But then I wouldn't stand out in a crowd

Some folks say that I'm egotistical
Hell I don't even know what that means
I guess it has something to do with the way
That I fill out my skin tight blue jeans

:D

Cheers,

Yea... talkers usually don't do much other than talking... I'm just lucky I haven't met many of them yet and never got aquainted to one either. Still, if a diver is truly experienced, knowledgeable, capable, and filled with awesome stories, I don't see why they should be humble about it, haven't they earn that right to brag?
O well, looks like we're only talking about the pretenders aren't we?

gcbryan:
You know the type, every community has one. He's an average diver who up to now has done nothing special but for some reason has become the local dive guru. SAC rate...he has the lowest, dive skills...superior, if you don't believe it just ask him:wink:

As a matter of fact those that have only heard of him are more impressed than those who actually know him. You can look up to many people in the dive industry but the legitimate ones are always the most modest and unassuming. The type of guy I'm describing is the type who if it wasn't for self-promotion would get no promotion at all:wink:

These guys are comical.

Any comedian's in your area of the country?
Yeah, I used to know one of them, but I don't think he was a diver. We used to call him "Eighty". We told him it was short for 80 Proof, as in liquor, but it wasn't. My best friend and I figured out that's how old he would have to have been in order to have done all he said he did.
He told us he was Special Forces and spent years in the jungles of Nicaragua helping the Contras, was an enforcer for Hell's Angels for awhile, ran a strip club in California, and lived on a Native American reservation. While he was there, he went thru tests of his manhood etc and was given a new name and made a member of the tribe. There were so many stories, we always wondered what was true and what was not. In the end, we just enjoyed listening to the stories for what they were, stories
C-Dawg

Vtdiver2:
In the end, we just enjoyed listening to the stories for what they were, stories
C-Dawg
There's an adage ... a good story doesn't have to be true, it has to be interesting ... :browsmile

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom