Know one of these guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
You know the type, every community has one. He's an average diver who up to now has done nothing special but for some reason has become the local dive guru. SAC rate...he has the lowest, dive skills...superior, if you don't believe it just ask him:wink:

As a matter of fact those that have only heard of him are more impressed than those who actually know him. You can look up to many people in the dive industry but the legitimate ones are always the most modest and unassuming. The type of guy I'm describing is the type who if it wasn't for self-promotion would get no promotion at all:wink:

These guys are comical.

Any comedian's in your area of the country?

Oh Yea, I met him a while back. This guy was a riot until I realized some new female divers were believing every word he said, then he began to worry me. He was in his mid 50s, smoked like crazy and was a good bit over weight. Here are just a few of his current activities:
He trains Navy seals to dive
He regularly drops by local military bases and borrows their planes to fly around, all the planes mind you, not just one or 2. When he was a kid, his father was a military pilot in Hawaii and would take him for rides in military planes.
He was the diver who was called retrieve the bodies of us poorly trained divers from the NC wrecks
He always carried an extra 10 lbs so he could stop us poorly trained divers from shooting to the surface.
He was an instructor whose students had to be able to hover within inches of the bottom before they could pass his course. This is where he began to scare me because a couple of young ladies were believing this crap and he was trying to get them to sign up for training.

We were in a dive bunk house and this BS went on all night. Unfortunately, we got blow out the next day so I did not actually get a chance to watch him magnificent dive skills. :)

Well, honestly - I think that at least half of the divers of Polish version of rec.scuba are the ones.
:D
Mania

The sad thing is that in this era of unabashed self promotion, people actually buy their stories, and are blind to the false confidence.
Having lived in ski resorts my entire life, you see these same people in the bar for a little apres ski, talking about their exploits.
The truly skilled people aren't even at the bar at the end of the day!

Know ONE of these guys. I know several. Our local dive Kings could make you laugh or cry. The manager of our shop once told a customer that you're feet won't get cold if you're a professional spear fisherman. Another of my favorites is that you can't put a longer hose between the first stage and the primary regulator because they don't make them. If you ask about using an octopus hose which is a few inches longer you are scolded for not realizing that they are for the octopus only. Oh the stories go on and on.... By the way this guy has been a dive shop manager for over 20 years. He told me the other day that he new the location of a sunken jet ski that he was going to recover as soon as the lake went down 20 or 30 feet. It's currently in 180 feet of water, but because the arm of the lake it's in has really steep sides it should only be about 80 or 90 feet deep after the level drops. I had him repeat this to make sure he didn't just fumble his words. Then I brought a friend in and got him to tell the same story. It never changed. Many many more..

gcbryan:
You know the type, every community has one. He's an average diver who up to now has done nothing special but for some reason has become the local dive guru. SAC rate...he has the lowest, dive skills...superior, if you don't believe it just ask him:wink:

As a matter of fact those that have only heard of him are more impressed than those who actually know him. You can look up to many people in the dive industry but the legitimate ones are always the most modest and unassuming. The type of guy I'm describing is the type who if it wasn't for self-promotion would get no promotion at all:wink:

These guys are comical.

Any comedian's in your area of the country?

So you've heard of me then. :wink:

I've known a few "Walter Mitty" types ... and not just in scuba.

In the '80's and early '90's I was into sailboat racing back in Massachusetts. This fellow joined our crew ... thought he was the second coming of James Bond. He'd done it all ... piloted jets, professional ski racer, master scuba diver, etc. You name it, he'd not just done it but perfected it. So that winter I invited him up to do some skiing with me and my buddies ... we rented a ski house in Vermont every year. Some of my friends were pretty hot skiers ... worked in the ski industry and skied 60-70 days a year. So we took him up to this little place called Mad River Glen. Poor guy lasted two runs and begged off with some tale about how his ski boot was broken. It was pretty obvious watching him pick his way down the trail that the boot wasn't the problem. We found him drinking in the lodge at the end of the day. He never asked to come skiing with us again after that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mania:
Well, honestly - I think that at least half of the divers of Polish version of rec.scuba are the ones.
:D
Mania

There's a Polish version of rec.scuba?:11:
I didn't think it was possible to duplicate that collection of posterchildern for abortion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom