Know one of these guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The following definition is incorrect in one thing, it's not pronounced "dur" or "der", it is an initialism not an acronym. But aside from that the definition is fundamental.

DIR (an acronym for Doing It Right) is an approach to scuba diving developed by members of the Woodville Karst Plain Project and primarily taught by Global Underwater Explorers. There are numerous threads on this question in our Tech Diving forums. Also here is a wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIR_diving

Definately in the tech (tec, tek, tech, technical....i've heard arguments on the correct abbreviation) community you run into these people.....the vast majority have never done a "real" dive (excuse the expression, but these people are kooks) or even know how to plan one.

I have, however, met a truly amazing person who was probably the best "diver" that I have ever seen. He was a helo pilot at the last squadron I was at.....former Marine Force Recon, went to college at NYU (graduated magna cum something or other), joined the Navy and became an aviator, and of course one of the most amazing divers I have ever seen with my own eyes. Like most other people that are good at anything it took a lot of persuasion to get anything out of him. Maybe quiet by nature or just has put up with so many bs people he doesn't like to waste his breath!!

So, every once in a great while you do actually meet extrodinary people.....You just have to keep your eyes peeled and the bs RADAR on high.

Just as an aside, isn't "DIR wanna' be" a misnomer? It's it really DIR don't wanna be?
I mean anyone who wants to be DIR can. I hear the term used by DIR people to describe non DIR people who are using a necklaced second, BP/W, etc.
Thanks for the info, but i'm more interested by what was meant by "DIR people" in the quote.
Thanks in advance

skinerd:
Thanks for the info, but i'm more interested by what was meant by "DIR people" in the quote.
Thanks in advance

I think that was just explained in the previous few quotes. If you're asking what I meant by DIR people I mean someone who has taken the DIR fundamentals class and subscribes to that philosophy of diving.

DIR wanna'be:

I mean those 25-ish year-old Johnny dropout Kool-aid drinkers that took some three-day DIR-F class from GUE (taking the dogma for their own) who think that somehow by doing it made them better divers, and, that somehow they are forever better divers than those strokes who haven't taken a DIR-F class, even though they've only got 335 dives, who blather-on incessantly about GI3, JJ, Ginnie, and Apeks versus Scubapro to a guy whose made 3350 dives over 25 years (many of them in the actual ocean!), and all of it spoken in run-on sentences..., well... you know 'em...

I run into these guys all the time, who, when they find out I was in the Army, they tell me that they were, "Special Forces, Green Beret." Anyone who's been in SF would NEVER refer to themselves as, "Special Forces, Green Beret." I ask them if their Q-course was hard, and how long they spent at Camp McCall, and who their instructor was, what their MOS was, and what Group they were with. At this point, they know that I know that they are lying, but they STILL try to stammer and BS their way through it, hoping (I guess) that I will somehow believe their stupid, lying, azzes. Hrmph... Bastages....

I'm not a mean spirited person, but I hate posers.

Was in my local Applebee's bar one evening when I overheard this studly do-right kind of guy explaining to a table full of young lovelies that he had been a door gunner on a Cobra helicopter in Viet Nam.

For those of you who aren't familiar with military aircraft, the Cobra is a tandem configured two-place helicopter gunship. The crew consists of 2 rated aviators.

Anyway, I take out my VHPA Assn. membership card (Viet Nam Helicopter Pilots Assn.)
and said in a clear and VERY audible voice, "Sir, you are a lying cad." I then walked away.

My favorites, though, are the guys on the dive boats in the Gulf who are "master scuba divers" who just wanted to get a dive in while they are on vacation. The bravado is unparalleled.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom