KeyWest....bugs everrywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Md Spear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Once again we dragged the Scarab down I-95 1245 miles from Maryland to Key West for 2 weeks of fun and diving.

I saw a lot of winter cold kill damage on the shallow reefs and now they are blanketed in abrown algae. sad. But... some spots made it in that Jan cold snap and are lush with some nice clusters of staghorn coral . the deeper reefs 60 ft and deeper escaped the cold kill. 6 divers on miniseason got their limit in the atlantic side. , no problemo We were diving close to the scarab and came across and another boat's grappeling hook. I said just great!! who the hell? i get back on my boat w abunch of bugs and and I say , who the hell is that ole guy so close to me? Then he jumps in and free dive up to my boat "say I m lookink to spear some divers!" Unbelieveably its Capt Franco from the old days who owned Reef Raiders , the largest dive operation in Key West 20 years ago. He boarded the Scarab and told a few stories. what a cool way to see an old friend, 10 miles out in the ocean. I gave him some spearfishing specialties ban rubber he needed and he hopped back in the water.
1st calm day we ran to the Marquesas. the deeper rolloff were fine from the winter, but most of my shallow ledges from the CB bouy to Cosgrove lite were hit hard by the Jan cold and now tons of brown algae covered the reefs. AND...on every shallow Marquesas drrop we saw lionfish, often hidding upsidedown under the ledges is clusters of 3 or more.

Attachments

• miscellaneous 017.jpg
    miscellaneous 017.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 92
  • miscellaneous 047.jpg
    miscellaneous 047.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 76
  • miscellaneous 110 copy.jpg
    miscellaneous 110 copy.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 80
  • miscellaneous 248.jpg
    miscellaneous 248.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 72
Grrrr send them to Fort Lauderdale! We need more bugs crawling at the bottom!

Big Steve had us over for a cookout extrodinair w/ fried lobster, grilled lobster, blackened lobster, blackened snapper, fried yellowtails, conch fritters, hush puppies, red potatoes and homemade coldslaw. What an incredible Key Westfeast Capt Steve put on. .trurely gormet stuff here.

Attachments

• miscellaneous 070.jpg
    miscellaneous 070.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 56
  • miscellaneous 073.jpg
    miscellaneous 073.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 66
  • miscellaneous 071.jpg
    miscellaneous 071.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 59
  • miscellaneous 076.jpg
    miscellaneous 076.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 51
Awesome about the bugs and Capt Franco.Sux about the cold kill.Miss being down there seeing you all.Hope ya'll find some big blacks.

It was a trip to remember..... 2 weeks goes by too quickly! We had an AMAZING dolphin encounter just before one of our dives. They were swimming all around the boat... we watched them frolic as if they were putting on a show just for us. They are such incredible creatures. I only wonder what they would have done if we tossed them a ball?:huh:

Also, on also every dive this year we have found lionfish. This was the first year I have seem them in the Keys and their first ones I have seen in the wild. :koh:

We missed you 100 days! You would have enjoyed big Steve's cookouts... lobsters grilled 4 different ways, snapper, trigger fish, fritters, corn on the cob, potatoes and more! yuuuuuummmmm:D:d

Attachments

• dophin.jpg
    dophin.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 85
  • driving.jpg
    driving.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 55
  • me lobsters.jpg
    me lobsters.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 58
  • tattoo.jpg
    tattoo.jpg