Keys w/SoCal divers Saturday 8/7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KBeck:
You'll be doing more driving than us, buddy. And six hours my lead foot, Paul and I will whittle that right down... :)
Its ok, i have Jenny to keep me entertained on the way home, no need to give her a hat for the company either :wink:

Just so everyone's aware, the reefs that Capt. Brain uses on his regular runs in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and John Pennekamp, so there's no lobstering allowed.

That's not to say since we're pretty much taking over his two boats we can't ask him to go elsewhere, but it will be a further run from where he normally takes his boats.

Marc

FLL Diver:
Just so everyone's aware, the reefs that Capt. Brain uses on his regular runs in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and John Pennekamp, so there's no lobstering allowed.

That's not to say since we're pretty much taking over his two boats we can't ask him to go elsewhere, but it will be a further run from where he normally takes his boats.

Marc
Ah forgot about that aspect. Seeing as we are on a pretty tight schedule anyway with the two sets of dives, would it be prudent to do a lobster dive on the second run in rather than hold up that boat on the first run in over the reefs? Again i wont be doing any hunting, so count me on the fish watching only boat.

Only 2 weeks and 4 days to go (til the start of this trip, or 5 days to this actual set of dive)!!! :wink:

SmokeAire:
If you're with us you will have always have a buddy. A boat load of buddies. Not to worry. You will not be left high and wet (or is it dry).Chuck

Thank's Chuck!

FLL Diver:

Marc
Aha! Thanks for saving me a trip, Marc ( and what, $10?) :)
If no one can tell, I have yet to dive the keys (sad, I know...), so I'm still shaky on these important details.

So, first dives of the day are to be Speigel Grove and reef? (Just verifying to decide what % nitrox to fill.....).

KBeck:
So, first dives of the day are to be Speigel Grove and reef? (Just verifying to decide what % nitrox to fill.....).

Speaking of Nitrox, is it available from the dive operation we are going out on? Or do I need to lug my own tanks down with me?

Paul

I have a question by the way new to the board and just got back from bonaire Hubby & I are newly certified just got back from diving bonaire and have 25 dives logged is this a trip that would be ok for us to sign up for ? I dont like to go to deep I like diving around 25-30 feet hubby on the other hand has no issues on depth. Would appreciate your feed back positive or negative ? We havent dove any boat dives as yet only shore diving but going to try a boat dive this week with lds.

scubabanker:
I have a question by the way new to the board and just got back from bonaire Hubby & I are newly certified just got back from diving bonaire and have 25 dives logged is this a trip that would be ok for us to sign up for ? I dont like to go to deep I like diving around 25-30 feet hubby on the other hand has no issues on depth. Would appreciate your feed back positive or negative ? We havent dove any boat dives as yet only shore diving but going to try a boat dive this week with lds.

Hello scubabanker, if you haven't done any boat dives it's recommended that when you do, go with an instructor that knows the sites and can go over the procedures involved. Some of the dives that are mentioned on this trip are over 100ft and quite dangerous for someone who has never gone below 30ft. Personally, I hope you err on the side of caution and by the way, those are very good questions. Glad you asked!

BTW, you didn't dive off a boat even during certification?

BTW, you didn't dive off a boat even during certification?[/QUOTE]
believe it or not no we did our check out dives in a lake and a river . If you can believe this we did not even do any ocean diving till we went to bonaire. I am going to go to a different dive shop then we took lessons from and take advance open water. I am not trying to be crtical of the place we got certified from but I am trying to continue my education because after reading here and different sites i feel like thier is so much more to learn that I did not learn from ow and dont want to go deeper till I feel I know everything that I should

scubabanker:

The first dive of each set is to a wreck, The Spiegel Grove in the morning, and the Duane in the afternoon. The SG starts in 45 feet of water, goes down to the sand at 130 feet. The Duane starts at 40 feet and goes down to 120 feet. There can some tough currents here, especially on the Spiegel Grove.

You might want to discuss this with your husband before committing.

Keep hanging around here. We plan a lot of dives - check the other threads and you'll see we have a few coming up this weekend. Hope to meet you soon.

Marc

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom